Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-04-2010

Nbot is on a distinguished road
New C-22 Mainsail questions

Hello,
New poster here...I'm looking to purchase a new mainsail from FX Sails for my 1986 C-22, just two quick questions:

1. Should I get my sail #'s on the sail? I'm fairly new to sailing and more weekend warrior than racing...but someone told me that everyone should just get the #'s on the sail if ordering new. Not sure if its "uncool" to have #'s on the sail if you aren't a racer, or if its practical to just get them anyways.

2. Should I get "2" reefing lines? Again me being a "newer" sailor I don't want to scare the piss out of my wife and so trying to be safe as possible, seems like being able to do a 2nd reefing point in heavier spring winds would be a good idea?

TIA,
Nathan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
numbers are up to you, they do have a safety feature. you need to call help you can give them the numbers on the sail, they can be seen from miles with binos.

reefs, i say get one if you have a roller furler up front. if the wind gets too much take down the main and run the jib, furled to the size you need. if you have hanked on jibs get 2 reefs in the main.

edit also if you sail on a big body of water then more reefs makes sense. if on a lake that you can get to shore quick they are not as important

Last edited by scottyt; 04-04-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2010

saildork is on a distinguished road
I agree with Scotty. I sail a C22 on an inland lake and find one reef to be sufficient up to about 25mph. After that the waves are such that you probably don't want to be on the water anyway. And you can sail the boat with headsail alone in those winds if you have to. Depending on the conditions where you sail, a 2nd reef might be the right answer. It's certainly easier to have them placed before you take delivery on your sail than to send the sail back later. But as a newer sailor, you probably won't want to go out on a day where a 2nd reef is needed.

Enjoy the C2, Nathan. It's a fun boat to sail.

Pat
Old 04-05-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
How many reefs does the main currently have? If one than that's the way to go. I would get the numbers even if you don't race.
Old 04-05-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Get the numbers and as many reefs as are provided for in your boom, two is good.

As for FX, I'd susggest you take a look at what Doyle is offerring,
Doyle Sailmakers: Internet Specials proabably both a better product and less likely to screw up your sailing season.
Old 04-05-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Get the numbers and 1 reef point. If you typically have some heavy air in your area then 2 reefs would be good. But honestly, most people won't go out in true "2 reef" weather. If your just learning (or your wife is) just run a reefed main and no headsail. Going to windward won't be a speed record, but it'll allow you to sail safely on those "spirited" days.
Old 04-05-2010

(edit, I have to post this "dummy" message b/c my post has a link and I can't include links until I have two posts apparently...)
Old 04-05-2010

Thanks for all the replies!

To be honest my current setup is a bolt-rope main, and I've never even reefed before. That's part of the reason I'm getting a new sail for the slugs/sliders so I can get the sail down quickly if needed instead of needing to get out of the cabin to pull it down!

I think I'll go ahead and get the #'s, no real reasons "not" to get them that I can find.

So, this is how "green" I am, I'm just assuming that all C-22's booms have the necessary equipment to run a reef, but I have no idea if I have what would be needed to run a 2nd reef (I'm getting boat out of winter shed this week so can look at the boom then if needed before ordering the sail). In my head I was just assuming that I'd just let the main down further, and run the 2nd reef clew back to the same camcleat I used for the first reef clew? This is the image/article I was partly learning from:
reefing

You are right I probably won't be out in 25mph+ winds regardless...so perhaps one reef is fine. I'm also a little confused on "which" sail would be better to run solo in heavier weather, a reefed main or my hank-on jib?

I'll check out the link for the other sail company...thanks for the suggestion sailfool.
Old 04-05-2010

last newbie question (of the morning at least)...I tried searching around but "sail number" returns a thousand or so hits. My sail # is just middle part of my hull ID correct?

My hull ID is CTYH3184G586, so my sail # is just 3184 (boat produced in 1986, the 3,184th boat produced from what I was told but just wanted to make sure...)
Old 04-05-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbot View Post
...So, this is how "green" I am, I'm just assuming that all C-22's booms have the necessary equipment to run a reef, but I have no idea if I have what would be needed to run a 2nd reef (I'm getting boat out of winter shed this week so can look at the boom then if needed before ordering the sail). In my head I was just assuming that I'd just let the main down further, and run the 2nd reef clew back to the same camcleat I used for the first reef clew? This is the image/article I was partly learning from:
reefing

You are right I probably won't be out in 25mph+ winds regardless...so perhaps one reef is fine. I'm also a little confused on "which" sail would be better to run solo in heavier weather, a reefed main or my hank-on jib?.

I'll check out the link for the other sail company...thanks for the suggestion sailfool.
There's been a thread about using one reefing line for both reefs, IMHO it,s not a good or practical idea. I've always seen two reefing lines for two reefs, but you could search for the thread and see what the advice was.

To support two reefs, you need provision in the boom passing for two reefing lines (which most booms will have, if not for three), two lines (one shorter, one much longer), plus either a loose-foot main or two grommets located in the foot below the reef positions. This tread works the subject over well:
Reefing, Spiral Lacing vs single line and how to tell what you've got?

Your boat will sail best with a small jib and a reefed or double-reefed main, then OK with just the jib (anticipate leeward helm), but will be an un-responsive dog with just the full main, or a reefed main. If your boat were a fractional rig with a large main, then the main alone is a more practical option

Last edited by sailingfool; 04-05-2010 at 10:28 AM.