Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011

jmkrest is on a distinguished road
Difficult window bedding problem

I'm pretty excited about the butyl tape, and I just ordered a couple of rolls last night to check it out. I think it will work pretty well for my windows (portlights) where the flange meets the cabin, but I have a U-channel that holds the glass, and I need some advice on a good caulk to use to glaze it.

Each window is composed of two u-shaped aluminum frames with u-shaped channels that slide over the glass and are held together by short pieces of aluminum and four screws. The frame halves butt up against each other in a line with no overlap. There is a flange that is caulked and screwed onto the external window cutout.

We have tried 4200 and 4000 UV for sealing and bedding with poor results: the material seems to be a bit brittle after cure, and we've had numerous leaks. It also adheres too strongly to the painted surface, causing some damage when we remove the frames.

Can someone suggest a decent material for glazing the windows? There is approximately an 1/8" gap between the glass and aluminum on each side of the glass.

I have pics I am unable to post, but can share PM if necessary for clarity.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkrest View Post
I'm pretty excited about the butyl tape, and I just ordered a couple of rolls last night to check it out.
Your tape shipped out first thing this morning. Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkrest View Post
Can someone suggest a decent material for glazing the windows? There is approximately an 1/8" gap between the glass and aluminum on each side of the glass.
Most of the aluminum U channel ports had extruded gaskets that the glass sat in. If you can measure the U channel you may try calling a company like Bomon (not Bomar) in Canada and asking who they would recommend for a supplier of channel gaskets for aluminum ports. Bomon can also make you brand new custom ports that match what you currently have for a fairly reasonable price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-20-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2011

lickingcardboard is on a distinguished road
hauled the boat home new years day, ordered the Buytl Tape the next week, been waiting for the title befor i started working on the boat, Title shoed up 4 days ago so i get to start working on the deck hardware and the wireing. Hopping to get her in the water in a week and a half max.
Old 05-24-2011

jmkrest is on a distinguished road
progress with windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
If you can measure the U channel you may try calling a company like Bomon (not Bomar) in Canada and asking who they would recommend for a supplier of channel gaskets for aluminum ports.
Thanks Maine Sail! I got a chance to play with the butyl tape today, and it looks like it's going to be very useful.

I've been corresponding with Bomon, too, and they may have a gasket that will work. At a little under $4/ft, I may be able to re-gasket all seven fixed ports for less than $100.
Old 05-27-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Butyl Tape shelf life

I've had a roll of this stuff on a shelf for about 2 years. Does this stuff go bad or can I still use it?
Old 05-27-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
I've had a roll of this stuff on a shelf for about 2 years. Does this stuff go bad or can I still use it?
It should still be fine. However some grades, it's not all the same quality stuff, does not last as long. Good stuff can still perform for many, many years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-27-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Thge butyl the builder, CS, used on my hull/deck joint that has squeezed out is the same consistency as new butyl - after 34 years! Yes it should last if of comparable quality.
Old 05-27-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I'm looking for local sources for butyl tape (want to get a project done soon if I can) but am having trouble. Also there are so many varieties.

For example, this catalog from a local RV place shows several varieties, including "Butyl Caulking Tape" ($30/roll), "Black Non-Trimmable Butyl Tape", "Putty Tape" (a "non-hardening butyl material"), and "Trimmable Butyl Tape (off-white)" ($10/roll). Unfortunately when I called they only have "Butyl Putty Tape" in stock which is not identical in name to any of those items, but I'm guessing it's the same as "Putty Tape".

Ignoring the black, are the others basically the same as far as the uses in this thread go?
Old 05-27-2011

NoWet is on a distinguished road
I'm sure you are looking for some tape for this weekend, but I just received mine from Maine Sail -- two days. (Thanks)

MS: I trust that your brand is of high quality and a portion can sit in the basement for a couple of years prior to being used?
Old 05-27-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Yes, I am a bad person for putting off this project until now. If I can't find it by, say, Monday, it probably won't matter and I'll get MaineSail to ship me the good stuff.