Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWet View Post
I'm sure you are looking for some tape for this weekend, but I just received mine from Maine Sail -- two days. (Thanks)

MS: I trust that your brand is of high quality and a portion can sit in the basement for a couple of years prior to being used?

The tape I offer is about the best quality for this type of service you can get. It was not easy to get nor easy to get the manufacturer to agree to it and I still have to buy it in multi-skid quantities.

I had a customer at my house two days ago who wondered how long this stuff lasts. I had saved a roll from 1996 of a similar type. I peeled off a piece, the wax paper is not in the best shape, and then he stretched and kneaded the two. The stuff from 1996 was still like new.. As Mitiempo said the stuff on our CS built boats is still flexible, gooey, sticky and still keeping water out even at 33 years old...

You really need to be careful with what "butyl" you get. RV butyl, much like masonry butyl is not the same stuff that was used by many builders back when butyl was widely used.

I have had three rolls of "butyl" sent to me by customers two of which were not even butyl but rather a "putty" and one which was so solvent rich it had melted and deformed in the box.

I tested over 40 different sources of butyl from various manufacturers and there is a VAST difference in the quality, elongation and durometer/density rating as well as working temp range. All butyl tape is not the same, so much like LED bulbs it has become buyer beware. Heck you may not even get butyl tape and even if you do the quality you get may not survive long in the marine environment.

This is a correspondence with one customer who bought the wrong butyl..

"Hello Maine,

Got the butyl rubber in time. Thanks for making the special trip!

Not that I didn’t believe you, but I wanted to check out the two tapes myself. They are two totally different materials. I will be tossing the butyl rubber I bought previously. If you’ll excuse the lousy video, I think you’ll spot your tape.

https://picasaweb.google.com/rmcgill...94158195187106

Thanks for the great product and for your technical tips.

Have a great weekend.

Bob
"

Before doing all the hard work watch the video my customer made. My tape is the stuff on the left the other stuff is RV grade... Like many things in life you often do get what you pay for..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 07-28-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Before doing all the hard work watch the video my customer made. My tape is the stuff on the left the other stuff is RV grade... Like many things in life you often do get what you pay for.
I'm happy to pay the extra, just a matter of timing for me right now.

Anyway after you watch the video MaineSail linked, check out this one. Clearly we should all be sealing our deck hardware with Ramen:

YouTube - ‪Chinese chef forms noodles by hand - Pretty damn amazing‬‏
Old 05-27-2011

Skipaway is on a distinguished road
WOW. We've already become butyl tape converts. Now the discussion moves to quality of butyl tape! Actually seems an appropriate evolution.

- Charlie (what do I do with my home depot stuff?)
Charlie Lincoln • Cathlamet, WA • Islander 28 #108
Old 05-27-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Adam

Home hardware carries it in Victoria - at least they did last year. I paid under $10 for a roll and it seems to be the same as CS used decades ago. Other local hardware stores may have it as well, Capitol Iron in Victoria usually has it. All I found was grey which was what i wanted. I'd stay away from any black butyl.
Old 06-12-2011

rlkrest is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Maine Sail, for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Your tape shipped out first thing this morning.
Most of the aluminum U channel ports had extruded gaskets that the glass sat in. If you can measure the U channel you may try calling a company like Bomon ... in Canada and asking who they would recommend for a supplier of channel gaskets for aluminum ports.
Just reinstalled the four windows that were leaking, as well as some deck hardware. Thanks to the gaskets from Bomon and the butyl tape from Maine Sail, the windows are watertight, and we are nearly leak free. Just have a couple of stanchions and dorade boxes to get to when we repaint the deck. Thanks for the help - I think our results have made believers out of several people on our dock.
Old 06-13-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Great photos and description !

On the Harbor line, we use G10 backing at all deck fittings. The balsa core is far away from any openings. G10 is a epoxy laminate that is pricey but worth it.
Old 06-13-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSchock View Post
Great photos and description !

On the Harbor line, we use G10 backing at all deck fittings. The balsa core is far away from any openings. G10 is a epoxy laminate that is pricey but worth it.

That is the proper way to build a boat and makes the seal of the fittings a tad less important.. G-10 is excellent stuff and GPO-3 is a close second.

Do you have a less expensive source for G-10 I need to buy some large quantities? Feel free to PM it to me..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-14-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Maine,

The G10 costs us a bloody fortune - I wish I had a lower cost source. We have even briefly mused about casting our own.

The labor of cutting and laying out the G10 is also expensive, compared with just rolling out balsa.
Old 06-14-2011
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road
Is this magical tape the same used in industrial window applications?
Old 06-14-2011

NoWet is on a distinguished road
Maine.

Good to hear that it can sit in the basement for some years! Question: What's the best way to store it? Ziplock bag? As is? In a bucket of rain water? Under the cat box?