Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWet View Post
Maine.

Good to hear that it can sit in the basement for some years! Question: What's the best way to store it? Ziplock bag? As is? In a bucket of rain water? Under the cat box?
I store it in a zip lock bag but more to keep dust and shop debris off it than anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteGuy View Post
Is this magical tape the same used in industrial window applications?
Yes and no. The newer glazing tapes are often shimmed and they have also been increasing the durometer ratings over the years and many are just to dense to work they way you want..

The product I sourced is very tough to get and is a lot closer to what was originally used by builders 30 years ago. I need to buy it in multi-skid orders to even get them to sell it to me. Over about six months I tested multiple tapes, talked to just about every manufacturer finally settled on one excellent tape.

That being said you are FAR better to use an architectural grade tape than any roofing or RV product. RV and roof products are not even close to a good quality butyl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-19-2011

BobBill is on a distinguished road
Bedding Deck Hardware

+1 Great advice. Many thanks.
Old 06-19-2011
Marty

msulc is on a distinguished road
I was trying to bed my chainplates with Butyl Tape on a teak deck. I think over time bigger and bigger screws have been used and the screw in their right now is as big as it can get. A couple of the screws now turn in place and it is hard to get enough pressure on the chainplate to get the butyl tape to press down firmly. Could I just drill an oversized hole where the screws go in, fill it with epoxy, and then screw down the chainplates? Or should I replace the stripped area with another teak bung?
Old 06-19-2011

Rebedding Fastener Holes

Your answer may be here at the pbase.com link in the first post here under Deck Penetrations to Prevent Core Rot Photo Gallery by Compass Marine under the West site material.

I see it is teak and epoxy might not be best so bung or bung with different wood and the added info on coring out holes, filling with heavy epoxy and proceeding as if new, using countersink and so on.

Interesting problem.

Last edited by BobBill; 06-19-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-19-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Ms,

You may want to use a impervious material as a bung ins read of teak
Old 06-19-2011

Butyl In Smaller Rolls

I am restoring a small Kite Class dinghy and would like to buy a smaller qty of the product sold by Main Sail-CS-36T, if anyone would like to work it out...

Last edited by BobBill; 06-19-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulc View Post
I was trying to bed my chainplates with Butyl Tape on a teak deck. I think over time bigger and bigger screws have been used and the screw in their right now is as big as it can get. A couple of the screws now turn in place and it is hard to get enough pressure on the chainplate to get the butyl tape to press down firmly. Could I just drill an oversized hole where the screws go in, fill it with epoxy, and then screw down the chainplates? Or should I replace the stripped area with another teak bung?
The density of butyl makes it ideally suited to be under compression. Screws into wood or cored decks will have a tough time compressing it and not stripping. You can use screws but just don't use them for the compression and instead compress the fitting by hand and with body weight then simply use the screws to hold the cover plate or deck seal in place. Ideally it is best to through bolt chain plate covers but on many designs this i just not possible. If you can back fill with thickened epoxy and tap then you should be better but screwing only into the teak is going to be weaker by design anyway.

Old 06-24-2011

sandycohen is on a distinguished road
Maine Sail - Howdy - I just placed an order for your butyl tape - look forward to receiving!

Meanwhile, I've bedded a couple of items in 3m 2880 mastic tape. I know it's butyl tape from reading the msds. Have you evaluated it in the spectrum of tapes (none of which are substitutes for bed-it, i understand) and have any suggestion on whether it needs to be removed or can stand?
Old 06-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycohen View Post
Maine Sail - Howdy - I just placed an order for your butyl tape - look forward to receiving!

Meanwhile, I've bedded a couple of items in 3m 2880 mastic tape. I know it's butyl tape from reading the msds. Have you evaluated it in the spectrum of tapes (none of which are substitutes for bed-it, i understand) and have any suggestion on whether it needs to be removed or can stand?
You have a rubber self fusing tape that is VERY different from butyl tape. I would not use it for bedding deck hardware. Essentially that tape is very similar to self fusing rigging tape and works well for sealing electrical connections but is not at all well suited for sealing deck hardware. Your tape will go out in the morning and you'll see what I am trying to explain..