Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road
I bedded the windows in a shark with it last year, there was also a rubber seal that slips into the metal frame. the tape worked great as it held the plexi in place while installing the rubber gasket.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinlax View Post
Looking for a way to seal my windows on a Beneteau First 35S5, could this be used for window bedding?

Thanks

GOM cruising
We'd need to know more about the ports... Frame, frame-less, acrylic dead lights? A photo would help..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-16-2012
gveto

gveto is on a distinguished road
Catalina 34 new chain plate design

Great documentation on all your work.
I recently made new chain plates for my Catalina34 and I have a short video which shows why I did it and it shows the new design. Just for your interest.

Go To YouTube link:

Catalina 34 and 36 new chain plate design - YouTube

Thanks
Old 02-05-2012

tominny is on a distinguished road
Butyl tape afficinados,

In what temperature range can butyl tape be applied to bed deck hardware and port lights? Since there doesn't seem to be any cure time, can I apply it at 32 degrees? Will expansion in the summer be a problem?

Or should I wait until April? ;-)
Thanks

Tartan 34C
New York City
Old 02-07-2012

Mark Johnson is on a distinguished road
Hi all,
I may have been the first experimenter to try Butyl tape in the 70s, (on my first of several cruising boat projects)...

I financed this project by working as the service manager (for 3 states) in my dad's Pella window dealership. As such, I had dozens of rolls of the stuff laying around, so used it to bed many ports, deck ports & vents on the boat. Here are the caveats...

It sticks like crazy, FOREVER, and does NOT release. With window glass in a metal frame, (if a window got broken}, we'd use red hot putty knives to cut through the sticky tape. IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT! Every 5 seconds, I'd put the putty knife back under the torch's flame, to keep the blade red hot.

So, if you have to remove something made of plastic, on fiberglas, (= "fiberglass reinforced plastic"), then you may melt one of these surfaces, in removal. SO GO FAST! Also, it never sets up, but stays the consistency of bubble gum. On a hot summer day, & especially on a horizontal surface, it compresses more with heat, and oozes out of the edge more. If you wipe off or wash the surface, this ooze smears all over the boat, and requires mineral spirits and elbow grease to remove. I regretted having used it!

If you use it, I would use it as a seal & spacer, but, given room, I'd put it well inboard of the hardware edges or flange edges. On the very edge, I'd still run a small bead of caulk around the perimiter, (which does set up), and you won't have this problem. The difficulty of removal, however, remains. On very small pieces it is not an issue, but on large deck plates it is!

Mark AKA, Delphys Marine
Attached Thumbnails
Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape-p8180401.jpg  

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 02-07-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
...Also, it never sets up, but stays the consistency of bubble gum. On a hot summer day, & especially on a horizontal surface, it compresses more with heat, and oozes out of the edge more....
There are many different manufacturers of butyl tape, and they can have a wide range of consistencies. Intuitively, I believe that one of the key parameters is the level of crosslinking in the rubber, which anyone with knowledge of adhesive chemistry recognizes as a tradeoff between adhesive strength vs. cohesive strength. (Higher crosslinking increases cohesive strength at the expense of adhesive strength.) The optimum balance of properties can be different for various applications and environments.

I have used two different kinds of butyl tape. The first type (which I bought at an RV store) fits your description: it sticks like crazy but oozes more (especially when hot) and yields at a lower elongational stress. I wasn't totally happy with this for marine bedding, so I bought some of Maine Sail's, which has a little less adhesive tackiness but oozes much less and has a huge elongational yield prior to failure (check his website for a video that demonstrates this). I believe that it has a higher level of crosslinking, and is more suited to the environmental factors and compressive stresses of marine applications.

It is important to choose the right butyl tape, and Maine Sail's seems to strike the right balance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-07-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
It is important to choose the right butyl tape, and Maine Sail's seems to strike the right balance.
Agreed.

After trying the RV stuff and the "real stuff" there is a world of difference.
Old 02-21-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Ok, so I have to report back.. This tape is awesome! I've yet to use it for my boat, but then, I'ved used it on my Living Quarters Horse trailer, in a bunch of places.

Very elastic, easy to manipulate, and a best choice for waterproofing.
Old 02-21-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You live in a horse trailer?
Old 02-25-2012
Member at large

GilStump is on a distinguished road
Great post! I have been using butyl to bed hardware. Nothing leaks, ever. One thing I have noticed is that after you clean off the excess, in a few days there is more excess forever squeezing out. In one application I went back everyday for several weeks and cut off little gray sticky worms of the stuff. Am I using too much? Is there a trick I am missing?
Please don't google me.