Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
Hello everyone. The quality of information in this thread caused me to register on Sailnet. Many thanks.

I am seeking confirmation that "Duct Seal" sometimes known as "Duct Seal Putty" is the same material as butyl tape but has the advantage of being more readily available for purchase and economical. Some of you may be familiar with duct seal as it often used to seal around electrical service entrance cables where they enter the meter housing.

I've used both butyl tape and duct seal in the past and they seem identical. The MSDS for duct seal lists the chemical family as "butyl rubber composite" which sounds promising?
Just like with polyurethane sealants there are many differing grades and compositions and some are more suitable than others to marine applications. Duct Seal is not the same as Bed-It Tape. Could it work? Sure, but having tested over 40+ products sold as "butyl tape" I can assure you the variances are far and wide. Some of these tapes are sold for less than 1/3 what I pay direct from the manufacturer.. "Fillers", recycled content", "solvents" and all sorts of other things can be added to the product to make it less costly, but they don't make it better...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
In my area (Victoria) there is no problem finding gray butyl in hardware stores at $5 or so a roll.
I know this is an old post, but is there a specific brand that you find better than others?
Old 06-12-2012

thof is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I know this is an old post, but is there a specific brand that you find better than others?

I believe he included a link to a product at the end of the post. I would copy/paste it but am still new here and not sure of all link policies. but have a look

Last edited by thof; 06-12-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

We have an old fashioned hardware store in Victoria. No label - just in a roll with wax paper on one side.

The best place to buy guaranteed good butyl is here:Need Butyl Tape ?? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
paul323 likes this.
Old 06-14-2012

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

I will be bedding the wooden grab rails with Butyl from Maine Sail and this will be coated with Cetol.

My question is: Could Cetol harm the butyl? I am sure I will be recoating the wooden pieces many times over the years, and during recoat, some of the Cetol could go in the Butyl. I am wondering if whatever is in the product could slowly cause the Butyl to decay.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2012

DryRed is on a distinguished road

I have one question, I'm esealing around my chain plates. I want to pour thinkened epoxy around the chain plate to seal the balsa and ensure no water get in. I also want to leave a uniform gap between the hardened epoxy and the chain plate so that I can seal it. Could I install the chain plate wrap the chain plate with butyl tape then pour the thickened epoxy around the butyl tape so that once it hardens the butyl tape will be sealed against the chainplate?
Old 06-20-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_deveau@ns.sympatico.ca View Post
I have one question, I'm esealing around my chain plates. I want to pour thinkened epoxy around the chain plate to seal the balsa and ensure no water get in. I also want to leave a uniform gap between the hardened epoxy and the chain plate so that I can seal it. Could I install the chain plate wrap the chain plate with butyl tape then pour the thickened epoxy around the butyl tape so that once it hardens the butyl tape will be sealed against the chainplate?
I'll let someone else answer, but you might want to change your name so you don't get spammed.
Old 06-23-2012

Palmetto97 is on a distinguished road

Like others came across this post when looking for answers on how to deal with my leaky chain plates. While removing the chainplates was a bear as the manufacturer had used 5200, following the demo made me feel confident that it will be a once and done repair.
Old 06-23-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryRed View Post

I generally prefer to wrap with packaging tape or electrical tape. The heat of the epoxy cure may soften the butyl. Electrical tale works well.... Butyl works in compression so even after the pour you'd need to re-bed. If potting the core put a slight chamfer in the deck hole around the chain plate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-08-2012

cnoyes1001 is on a distinguished road

Great information! I concure with countersinking. I want to order some Bed-it tape but I live in Hawaii. If anyone knows where it is avaliable locally please let me know.
Thanks,
Charlie