Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPossumTX View Post

Having read the first page or two of this thread, I rushed out and bought some of this wonderful stuff that I knew I could get cheap from home depot. After I messed around with it a little, I came back and read the whole thread. I have now received two rolls from Maine Sail and the HD stuff will be used when I re-work my carport, not the boat!

There is a HUGE difference between the products. If I did not know they had the same base, I would not believe it. The Home Depot stuff is more like plumber's putty. It will fill the gap but not take a whole lot of movement. When it is compressed, it does not stick and elongate like the stuff Maine Sail is selling when things are moved and pulled apart.

Maine Sail, you DE MAN! Thanks!

Have FUN!
O'
Glad I could help!!!

As I have mentioned many times I tested over 40 products for over a year before bringing Bed-It Tape to the marine market. In fact I am still testing other manufacturers and products and am still in the search for a white or off white products that meets my standards... I think it is a needle in a haystack but I keep trying. Was just sent a sample last week of a "new formulation" and sure enough it was new but still no good....

Glad you liked it and always glad when I can help...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPossumTX View Post
Having read the first page or two of this thread, I rushed out and bought some of this wonderful stuff that I knew I could get cheap from home depot. After I messed around with it a little, I came back and read the whole thread. I have now received two rolls from Maine Sail and the HD stuff will be used when I re-work my carport, not the boat!

There is a HUGE difference between the products. If I did not know they had the same base, I would not believe it. The Home Depot stuff is more like plumber's putty. It will fill the gap but not take a whole lot of movement. When it is compressed, it does not stick and elongate like the stuff Maine Sail is selling when things are moved and pulled apart.

Maine Sail, you DE MAN! Thanks!

Have FUN!
O'
Yep I went through the exact same process. I tried ebay and found something that's close. And then I tried McMaster and bought "Stay-Soft Glazing Rope":

"Easy to apply, this butyl rope seals leaks in ridges, eaves, gutters, and headers. Also holds glass in frames for a weather-tight seal. To use, uncurl rope and press in place. It stays soft and pliable for years. Application temperature range is –40° to +95° F; operating temperature range is –40° to +212° F. Diameter is 1/4". Comes in 20-ft. roll. Color is gray. This product is compliant under all state VOC rules in effect on October 1, 2008."

It's also close. But it never quite felt like how it was described here. So finally I bought some from Maine. His tape is softer, stickier, and comes in a nice thin tape form instead of round.

This stuff is similar to epoxy in that it all has the same base but still has be formulated just right for specific applications. A lot of variations are close but not quite the same. Maine is doing the work of sorting through that and selecting just the right thing.

So I strongly suggest everyone reading this thread buy from him and save themselves the time, trouble and money of working with the wrong thing.
Old 12-03-2012

Dubbinchris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
You may find that you get what you pay for..................

As mentioned (and shown) in the thread.
I'm almost certain it's the correct stuff after reading this whole thread.
Old 12-03-2012

Bacchus258 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great tutorial. As a new, first time sailboat owner I really appreciate having detailed and illustrated instructions to use.

Sent from my Samsung GS3 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-09-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

I bought two rolls from Maine, gave one to my boss who sails a leaky Cal 27-7 and am about 2/3 through my roll.

Here are pics of my plexiglass replacements. The biggest challenges were getting the old ones off, removing the caulk and glue that stayed behind and then removing duct tape residue. I was getting the plexi for free so I could not complain about the 3 month delay however I had to temporarily (3 months) cover the window openings with plastic held in place with duct tape. During Toronto's hottest summer ever that duct tape, under a green tarp, was baked into the deck. Come late Oct I froze my fingers getting that duct tape residue off with Goo Gone and acetone....but in the end all worked out. I will give the screws another turn or two come warmer weather.

This qualifies for cheap projects as it only cost me the $50+ US into Maine's bank account but I wanted to post it with the butyl tape because it was so easy to work with. I have also used the tape to seal one of my stanchions where a little "side arm" support stuck through the cabin side and I will do two more in the spring.

Thanks Maine.

Old 03-04-2013

Tymadman is on a distinguished road
I've been using electrical self-amalgamating tape (butyl tape) with good results to seal deck fittings. It is very thin so you need to be a bit creative when applying it, but it works well.
Old 03-05-2013

ODay e-pod is on a distinguished road

Just ordered three rolls, thanks RC!
Old 03-05-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODay e-pod View Post
Just ordered three rolls, thanks RC!
Always glad when I can help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-07-2013

xymotic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymadman View Post
I've been using electrical self-amalgamating tape (butyl tape) with good results to seal deck fittings. It is very thin so you need to be a bit creative when applying it, but it works well.

Wha????? Electrical tape is not self amalgamating, and self amalgamating tape (rescue tape / rigging tape) is not Butyl rubber/tape. So color me confused cuz I have no idea what you mean?
Old 03-07-2013

Tymadman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Wha????? Electrical tape is not self amalgamating, and self amalgamating tape (rescue tape / rigging tape) is not Butyl rubber/tape. So color me confused cuz I have no idea what you mean?
In that case you're obviously not an electrician :-)
Try googling self-amalgamating tape, which is butyl tape we use in the electrical industry to re-insulate stuff. PVC electrical tape is what you are thinking of.