Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Well you can call my post a lecture, and I can call your post a rant, and it's all good. We all post our experiences, and my experience is that MS sells a good product.

There are times people may need a quick repair and don't have time for mail order, so your suggestion may help guide them to a solution that fits their limitations. But the governing limitation in this case should be time, not money. That's my advice, and it's worth what you paid for it.

I'm not sure why you're so offended by my post. I said that I did essentially the same thing you did (look for a cheaper solution), but instead I learned to appreciate a superior product.

As someone who has spent my entire career doing polymer R&D for Fortune 50 companies in the paints/coating/ink/adhesives/sealants industry, I have some useful input and I will continue to make it. You are welcome to make yours too, and if we sometimes disagree, then the readers will be smart enough to decide which advice to follow.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013
Bilge water barnacle

white74 is on a distinguished road

there is also a product out there used in the construction trade for lining window and door openings comes in wider rolls. I've used this for sound dampening as well as sealing
for sound dampening I glue heavy aluminum foil over it to line the walls in my engine room
for sealing/gasket application I like it as it is one continuous sheet. again use you own judgement which product is best for your application
also a good primer for butyl is to paint a thin coat of contact cement (use the good exterior stuff not the water based or interior stuff)
Old 04-11-2013

Jd1 is on a distinguished road

Kudos to Maine Sail !!!! Got my order of three rolls of butyl tape today ..... the kudos part comes in the shipping area. It costs a rediculous amount of money ($40) to ship a small box to Canada. He managed to squish the three rolls into a DVD sized box (perfect fit) and get it to me at almost half the amount for shipping!

THANKS !!!
Old 04-11-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by white74 View Post
also a good primer for butyl is to paint a thin coat of contact cement (use the good exterior stuff not the water based or interior stuff)
I own a CS27, smaller sister to Maine Sail's CS36T. Both boats, as well as all other CS boats were built with all through bolted deck hardware bedded with good quality butyl. The hull'deck joint was butyl bedded as well. All original deck hardware on my boat is still leak free - the issues were items installed by previous owners using silicone or other sealants. On any item I have removed, like the forward hatch I replaced, the original (35 year old!) butyl was still doing its job. The adjacent balsa was bone dry and the hatch was hard to remove.

If it needs a primer it is not good butyl.
Old 04-11-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I own a CS27, smaller sister to Maine Sail's CS36T. Both boats, as well as all other CS boats were built with all through bolted deck hardware bedded with good quality butyl. The hull'deck joint was butyl bedded as well. All original deck hardware on my boat is still leak free - the issues were items installed by previous owners using silicone or other sealants. On any item I have removed, like the forward hatch I replaced, the original (35 year old!) butyl was still doing its job. The adjacent balsa was bone dry and the hatch was hard to remove.

If it needs a primer it is not good butyl.
Problem is there are literally HUNDREDS of products out there with the term "butyl" in the description and this leads to lots of confusion, and inferior or poor performing products for the job.

Please do not use a primer if using Bed-It Butyl Tape just clean the deck and fitting and install.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-11-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Kudos to Maine Sail !!!! Got my order of three rolls of butyl tape today ..... the kudos part comes in the shipping area. It costs a rediculous amount of money ($40) to ship a small box to Canada. He managed to squish the three rolls into a DVD sized box (perfect fit) and get it to me at almost half the amount for shipping!

THANKS !!!
Glad i could help. Always a little uncomfortable shipping it that way but so far it seems to have worked, and saves money.... Knock wood..... Oh and yes international shipping has become outrageously expensive...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-11-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road

CS used Tremco brand butyl pretty well all around. Good to hear you have no leaks Brian, I'm the guy that installed all that hardware. 35 years and no leaks, talk about low maintenance.
Old 04-12-2013

HardTAC is on a distinguished road

Wow, it took quite a while to read through this thread, but boy was it worth it! I have been without a boat for a dozen years but just acquired a 30-year-old sailboat that's gonna need as lot of hardware re-bedding. Without reading this first, I might have gone back to my old silicone ways... I'm ordering a few rolls of butyl tape ASAP! Thanks MS and everyone for all the tips and advice. It's all good!
Old 05-02-2013

budvar is on a distinguished road
Butyl use with nonthru bolt applications?

Recently got a roll of Butyl (thanks! Looks like great stuff). Have an older US Boat, mast down for rerigging. The stepmast base is held by 4 deep screws. I tried the butyl but ran into the problem of when turning the screws, the turning motion would start wrapping the surrounding butyl.

Would this still be a correct application to use the butyl around (slightly away from the screws) the base, pressing (or standing) on it, then mounting the deep screws in place?

Thanks!
Chris, S.E. Washington State
Old 05-12-2013

TheRoutens is on a distinguished road

I'm about to re-step the mast on my '77 Cal 34 and am in the process of bedding my chainplates.

Can anyone tell me if the decks need to be absolutely dry before I put the butyl tape down under the chainplate covers? We are predicted to have a week of rain here in Washington and I just don't want to wait that long to get the chainplates back in.

Also, a big THANK YOU to MaineSail for showing us this information! I have to rebed all of the lifeline stanchions and without this I would have made a huge mistake in choosing the bedding material.

Thanks in advance for any advice on surface condtions for applying the butyl tape.

Mike