Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape - Page 26 - SailNet Community
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #251 of 394 Old 04-11-2013 Thread Starter

Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I own a CS27, smaller sister to Maine Sail's CS36T. Both boats, as well as all other CS boats were built with all through bolted deck hardware bedded with good quality butyl. The hull'deck joint was butyl bedded as well. All original deck hardware on my boat is still leak free - the issues were items installed by previous owners using silicone or other sealants. On any item I have removed, like the forward hatch I replaced, the original (35 year old!) butyl was still doing its job. The adjacent balsa was bone dry and the hatch was hard to remove.

If it needs a primer it is not good butyl.
Problem is there are literally HUNDREDS of products out there with the term "butyl" in the description and this leads to lots of confusion, and inferior or poor performing products for the job.

Please do not use a primer if using Bed-It Butyl Tape just clean the deck and fitting and install.......

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-11-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 394 Old 04-11-2013 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Kudos to Maine Sail !!!! Got my order of three rolls of butyl tape today ..... the kudos part comes in the shipping area. It costs a rediculous amount of money ($40) to ship a small box to Canada. He managed to squish the three rolls into a DVD sized box (perfect fit) and get it to me at almost half the amount for shipping!

THANKS !!!
Glad i could help. Always a little uncomfortable shipping it that way but so far it seems to have worked, and saves money.... Knock wood..... Oh and yes international shipping has become outrageously expensive...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #253 of 394 Old 04-11-2013

CS used Tremco brand butyl pretty well all around. Good to hear you have no leaks Brian, I'm the guy that installed all that hardware. 35 years and no leaks, talk about low maintenance.
post #254 of 394 Old 04-12-2013

Wow, it took quite a while to read through this thread, but boy was it worth it! I have been without a boat for a dozen years but just acquired a 30-year-old sailboat that's gonna need as lot of hardware re-bedding. Without reading this first, I might have gone back to my old silicone ways... I'm ordering a few rolls of butyl tape ASAP! Thanks MS and everyone for all the tips and advice. It's all good!
post #255 of 394 Old 05-02-2013

Butyl use with nonthru bolt applications?

Recently got a roll of Butyl (thanks! Looks like great stuff). Have an older US Boat, mast down for rerigging. The stepmast base is held by 4 deep screws. I tried the butyl but ran into the problem of when turning the screws, the turning motion would start wrapping the surrounding butyl.

Would this still be a correct application to use the butyl around (slightly away from the screws) the base, pressing (or standing) on it, then mounting the deep screws in place?

Thanks!
Chris, S.E. Washington State
post #256 of 394 Old 05-12-2013

I'm about to re-step the mast on my '77 Cal 34 and am in the process of bedding my chainplates.

Can anyone tell me if the decks need to be absolutely dry before I put the butyl tape down under the chainplate covers? We are predicted to have a week of rain here in Washington and I just don't want to wait that long to get the chainplates back in.

Also, a big THANK YOU to MaineSail for showing us this information! I have to rebed all of the lifeline stanchions and without this I would have made a huge mistake in choosing the bedding material.

Thanks in advance for any advice on surface condtions for applying the butyl tape.

Mike
post #257 of 394 Old 05-12-2013

I'm about to re-step the mast on my '77 Cal 34 and am in the process of bedding my chainplates.

Can anyone tell me if the decks need to be absolutely dry before I put the butyl tape down under the chainplate covers? We are predicted to have a week of rain here in Washington and I just don't want to wait that long to get the chainplates back in.

Also, a big THANK YOU to MaineSail for showing us this information! I have to rebed all of the lifeline stanchions and without this I would have made a huge mistake in choosing the bedding material.

Thanks in advance for any advice on surface condtions for applying the butyl tape.

Mike
post #258 of 394 Old 05-12-2013 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoutens View Post

Mike

Must be dry. A rag with Acetone will do wonders for a damp deck...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

post #259 of 394 Old 05-18-2013

1) I'm re-bedding chainplates. They're flush to the deck but I'd like to use butyl. However I don't want them getting junk stuck to them or being exposed to UV for long periods of time. Would it be ok to use butyl and then put lifecaulk over that?

2) I just finished re-bedding some deck hardware today and one thing that worked pretty well was to counter sink before re-drilling the epoxy.

The counter sink doesn't walk as much as a drill bit, is easier to center initially, and if it's off center it can be walked back towards the center unlike a drill bit.

So once you have the centered countersink the drill bit will right down the center of the epoxy plug.

Also I found that a guide block of solid oak was a simple way to guide the drill straight. I just drilled out a small scrap block of oak at home for various size bits in the press for straight perpendicular holes.

3) The adhesive properties of butyl can't be forgotten. I had to hole saw some inspection holes in the head platform to get access to the bolts underneath. To re-fill these holes I was able to simply stick some leftover 2" soffit vents (like $1 each at home depot) into the holes with butyl. The advantage of butyl being how easy it was and the fact that I can yank them out with no tools, then replace them anytime I want in the future.
OPossumTX likes this.

Last edited by asdf38; 05-18-2013 at 07:54 PM.
post #260 of 394 Old 05-26-2013

hello,

I recently recaulked a few stuff with tape myself but now I'm wondering if I used the right stuff. I think the product was AT-200Y from General Sealants. I found it at my local chandelry store. The guy there told me it's all good for caulking and that it was good stuff (although the website advertises the product as vacuum bag sealant adhesive).

(Yesterday I was sailing on the SF bay and the deck got covered with water numerous times I have not seen a leak coming from the fitting I bedded with that yellow stuff.)

Thanks,

Florent

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.