Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013

TheRoutens is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

I'm about to re-step the mast on my '77 Cal 34 and am in the process of bedding my chainplates.

Can anyone tell me if the decks need to be absolutely dry before I put the butyl tape down under the chainplate covers? We are predicted to have a week of rain here in Washington and I just don't want to wait that long to get the chainplates back in.

Also, a big THANK YOU to MaineSail for showing us this information! I have to rebed all of the lifeline stanchions and without this I would have made a huge mistake in choosing the bedding material.

Thanks in advance for any advice on surface condtions for applying the butyl tape.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoutens View Post
I'm about to re-step the mast on my '77 Cal 34 and am in the process of bedding my chainplates.

Can anyone tell me if the decks need to be absolutely dry before I put the butyl tape down under the chainplate covers? We are predicted to have a week of rain here in Washington and I just don't want to wait that long to get the chainplates back in.

Also, a big THANK YOU to MaineSail for showing us this information! I have to rebed all of the lifeline stanchions and without this I would have made a huge mistake in choosing the bedding material.

Thanks in advance for any advice on surface condtions for applying the butyl tape.

Mike

Must be dry. A rag with Acetone will do wonders for a damp deck...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-18-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

1) I'm re-bedding chainplates. They're flush to the deck but I'd like to use butyl. However I don't want them getting junk stuck to them or being exposed to UV for long periods of time. Would it be ok to use butyl and then put lifecaulk over that?

2) I just finished re-bedding some deck hardware today and one thing that worked pretty well was to counter sink before re-drilling the epoxy.

The counter sink doesn't walk as much as a drill bit, is easier to center initially, and if it's off center it can be walked back towards the center unlike a drill bit.

So once you have the centered countersink the drill bit will right down the center of the epoxy plug.

Also I found that a guide block of solid oak was a simple way to guide the drill straight. I just drilled out a small scrap block of oak at home for various size bits in the press for straight perpendicular holes.

3) The adhesive properties of butyl can't be forgotten. I had to hole saw some inspection holes in the head platform to get access to the bolts underneath. To re-fill these holes I was able to simply stick some leftover 2" soffit vents (like $1 each at home depot) into the holes with butyl. The advantage of butyl being how easy it was and the fact that I can yank them out with no tools, then replace them anytime I want in the future.
OPossumTX likes this.

Last edited by asdf38; 05-18-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2013

flo617 is on a distinguished road

hello,

I recently recaulked a few stuff with tape myself but now I'm wondering if I used the right stuff. I think the product was AT-200Y from General Sealants. I found it at my local chandelry store. The guy there told me it's all good for caulking and that it was good stuff (although the website advertises the product as vacuum bag sealant adhesive).

(Yesterday I was sailing on the SF bay and the deck got covered with water numerous times I have not seen a leak coming from the fitting I bedded with that yellow stuff.)

Thanks,

Florent
Old 05-26-2013

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road

I would contact the manufacturer to find out what it is and how it ages before using anymore of it. Everything that is sticky and works for a while does not mean that it a good bedding compound. This stuff looks to be intended for a very limited lifetime. I believe the manufacturer says 6 month shelf life.
Old 05-30-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Maine, this is one of the best how to posts I've read. I am about to rebed a lot of hardware on teak rails. Is butyl tape good on wood? Is it better to remove the hardware and finish the wood ... Then butyl or better on bare wood?
Old 05-30-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
Maine, this is one of the best how to posts I've read. I am about to rebed a lot of hardware on teak rails. Is butyl tape good on wood? Is it better to remove the hardware and finish the wood ... Then butyl or better on bare wood?
I had to remove the handrails on my boat due to leaking. I varnished them while they were off with a single coat on the bottom. I used the butyl to seal it up when putting it back on the boat and have left a tarp off since and don't see any leaks or other issues with it. I think the important part is having the compression between the hardware, wood and mounting surface.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhapsody-NS27 For This Useful Post:
dvuyxx (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post

In experience you are ALWAYS better to seal the underside of the wood. If you don't this is where moisture enters and begins to lift the finish. Some of the higher end boat builders epoxy seal the bottoms of teak applied above decks...

Butyl will work either way but if you have the wood off definitely seal the bottom...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
dvuyxx (05-30-2013)
Old 07-16-2013

oomfh is on a distinguished road

Sorry if this question has already been asked. I relocated a traveler track onto superfine nonskid. I'm trying to remove the residual buytl that has gotten onto the nonskid. I've used acetone soaked q-tips - but that only gets the butyl sitting on top of the nonskid. Any suggestions on removing the buytl sitting at the bottom of the fine nonskid?
Old 07-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by oomfh View Post
Sorry if this question has already been asked. I relocated a traveler track onto superfine nonskid. I'm trying to remove the residual buytl that has gotten onto the nonskid. I've used acetone soaked q-tips - but that only gets the butyl sitting on top of the nonskid. Any suggestions on removing the buytl sitting at the bottom of the fine nonskid?
Mineral Spirits does a better job than Acetone...