Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013

WesAllen is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Maine Sail, I received your Tape and used it on my windows that have been leaking for 4+ years. THANK YOU it really worked. They haven't leaked in 2 months so far. Everything else will be rebedded this winter for sure. Thanks again.

P.S. My brother works for the local RV dealer and yours is better than anything he could get.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to WesAllen For This Useful Post:
Maine Sail (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Simple Green & Majik Eraser - works like magic!
Old 07-22-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road

I've read at least 19 pages, sorry if this has been asked and answered.

First, FANTASTIC article Maine Sail, pure gold!

I was wondering if anyone in the tropics, have issues with butyl "running" a bit.
If so, what solutions have you come up with? Is butyl compatible with other caulks? Maybe caulk a perimeter thin bead of something like 4000uv to "skin" or form a barrier to the butyl? Crazy talk?

Why not get the black butyl? Is this due to tracking it around the boat?

Side note: I've used 3Ms take on butyl tape strip caulk(http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...DS_08578_P.pdf ), I liked it, bought it from Bluewater ship store in Texas. Did very well but I only had the boat another year after that work. I will find out how well it stood up when i see the boat in a couple weeks, I haven't owned the boat in 13 years.

Again, sorry if this has been explained already. Great thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirl View Post
Is butyl compatible with other caulks? Maybe caulk a perimeter thin bead of something like 4000uv to "skin" or form a barrier to the butyl? Crazy talk?
Good question, I'd like to see the answer. I applied lifecaulk polysulfide over butyl tape on my chainplates just this season and I'm not sure if that was smart yet or not. I didn't want to leave the butyl entirely exposed to UV/dirt etc.
Old 09-01-2013

SantaAna12 is on a distinguished road

Thank you Maine Sail.

A couple questions: In reading the post I remember the straw method and the pen method for making holes in the butyl when inserting screws/bolts. I did my fore hatch awhile back, and will be doing my salon hatch soon. I found the straw method ( the straw I used ) to flex, and the pen to stick. Is there any point to "wet" out the pen with water to lessen the tape winding on the fastener?
Another question: I would appreciate any suggestions of a quality (perhaps value is the better term ) countersink brand that would make process easier.

A side note: When I removed the 25 year old electrical panel on my Cal a few years ago I noted it was sealed with Butyl. Still dry underneath, and no sign of water intrusion to the surroundings!

A great post.....Thanks!
Old 09-03-2013
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Greetings! I do hate to bother you. But, after reading this excellent post on the use of butyl and countersinking, which I will be using when I install stanchions on my boat, I felt compelled to ask a slightly different question. I recently purchased a 1969 Yankee Dolphin. The handrails have been sanded/eroded by weather so badly that they are literally pencil thin. I have bought new ones and am ready to tackle replacement. There is absolutely no evidence of water intrusion inside the cabin where the bolts that hold the rail pass through the roof. I'd like to keep it that way. Can you advise me how to properly bed the handrails from underneath? Perhaps a tutorial on attaching teak deck fittings from below? Thank you for your time, I look forward to your advice.

Eric
Old 09-03-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

have you read this one? Sealing Deck Penetrations to Prevent Core Rot Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
should be used when attached from above or below
Old 09-03-2013
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I read that tutorial as well. I'm not understanding if he is suggesting this method when changing existing deck hardware that shows no signs of water intrusion. I was thinking I would use this butyl method, i.e. countersinking the existing holes (if they haven't been done originally), and then attaching them from below.
Old 09-04-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

The butyl should be between the handrail and the deck, with a countersink on the cabin top where the fastener exits the cabin top and enters the handrail. Never use sealant - butyl or other types - on the inside of the boat. All that does is guarantee that any leak will enter the core and you won't know it. If a leak does develop you want to know it asap.
Old 09-04-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
Greetings! I do hate to bother you. But, after reading this excellent post on the use of butyl and countersinking, which I will be using when I install stanchions on my boat, I felt compelled to ask a slightly different question. I recently purchased a 1969 Yankee Dolphin. The handrails have been sanded/eroded by weather so badly that they are literally pencil thin. I have bought new ones and am ready to tackle replacement. There is absolutely no evidence of water intrusion inside the cabin where the bolts that hold the rail pass through the roof. I'd like to keep it that way. Can you advise me how to properly bed the handrails from underneath? Perhaps a tutorial on attaching teak deck fittings from below? Thank you for your time, I look forward to your advice.

Eric
First you dry fit them. If they screw up from below, as many do, mark your centers and pre-drill the rails. Now screw them down dry and make sure they fit. Sometimes, due to cabin top shape, some bases may not fit flush to the deck and may need the proper angle sanded in to them.

Next remove hand rail and countersink each hole then insert each screw through the deck. If you not epoxy potted the deck now is a good time to do so...

Wrap an extra long butyl cone around each screw to hold it in place and cover the bottom of the hand rails in Bed-It butyl leaving just the screw hole showing.. Using a friend align the screws with the holes and begin to tighten each one evenly and slowly.

Once the hand rail is compressing the butyl stop screwing and put body pressure on the hand rail from above to displace the butyl. Go snug the screws. Do this again and again until the butyl stops oozing out. DO NOT use the screws to compress the butyl as they can be stripped out of the teak.

It is best to epoxy seal the bottoms of the hand rails where the butyl is to prevent the finish from lifting....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-04-2013 at 08:59 AM.