Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
You should not need to take it apart and start over unless you want to move to HEX.
I definitely want to move to hex head bolts. I've never been happy with the Phillips head bolts.

But I wasn't planning to start over. I was just going to remove and replace one bolt at a time, so that I never fully released the compression. Do you think that is good enough? Or do I need to pull them off, clean, and start over with another too-thick bed of butyl?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I definitely want to move to hex head bolts. I've never been happy with the Phillips head bolts.

But I wasn't planning to start over. I was just going to remove and replace one bolt at a time, so that I never fully released the compression. Do you think that is good enough? Or do I need to pull them off, clean, and start over with another too-thick bed of butyl?
It does not sound like you've read the instructions or fully understand the process. You need to bed the items as a single process not as a single bolt. What is under the plate is only PART of the seal what is around each bolt IS the seal..... How are you going to butyl-cone each bolt then push it through.....?

I may suggest re-reading the instructions:

Re-Bedding Instructions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-31-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I finally bought the "miracle butyl" yesterday.

I have never been so freaking excited about tape or sealant.
Something is definitely wrong with me.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-31-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
It does not sound like you've read the instructions or fully understand the process. You need to bed the items as a single process not as a single bolt....[/B]
I had read and followed your instructions when I originally installed the new gudgeons, but I had since fogotten this detail. After having re-read your instructions, I'll remove the gudgeons and rebed from scratch. Note, however, that I cannot avoid twisting the bolts because they have a single threaded backing plate. The only way to tighten them is to twist the bolts. There are locknuts behind the backing plate, but they serve only to keep the screws from loosening from the backing plate.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-03-2013
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road

Is the transom cored?
Old 11-14-2013

Mosaic is on a distinguished road

For replacing external chainplates attached to the side of the hull, the manufacturer recommends 3M4000 for UV protection. I was thinking that butyl tape would be better. Thoughts? Mosaic, Friday Harbor, WA
Old 11-14-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
For replacing external chainplates attached to the side of the hull, the manufacturer recommends 3M4000 for UV protection. I was thinking that butyl tape would be better. Thoughts? Mosaic, Friday Harbor, WA
If the plates are bolted externally what are you sealing from? Just the bolt holes? I don't see the UV exposure. If so then I would put butyl under the chain plates around the holes and under the head of the bolts.

As far as Butyl and UV I'd like an answer too. I bedded my chainplates in butyl last season (through the deck) but was hesitant about letting butyl be exposed to UV dirt etc, so I put a layer of lifecaulk over that. I'm not sure this was smart because the lifecaulk has turned yellow.
Old 12-04-2013

endoit is on a distinguished road

This is a very informative and extensive discussion. After reading the instructions and comments over the past fiew months I am ready to do some work on my boat this winter/spring. I am curious if anyone compared the efficacy of the butyl tape with that of 3M 4200 or other marine materials using the exact techniques for rebedding described in this post. After countersinking the holes, cleaning the surfaces, tightening the nuts without bolt rotation, since it seems the whole process is so technique dependant, shouldn't both products work equally well? A concern of mine is that since butyl tape continue to be so pliable it will continue to flow when exposed to heat during the summer and the additional tightenings may result in accidental rotation of the bolt. Has anyone considered using spacers under deck hardware to facilitate a more even distribution of the material and prevent overtightening?
Old 12-04-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Butyl has more stretch.
When a deck fitting moves, (and they all will eventually) the butyl maintains the seal where the 3M products have dried up, and allow the seal to be broken.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 12-04-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Spacers are not necessary. The butyl will stop flowing after a short while. Ultimately the hardware item will be very close to the deck and that is the reason that the fastener holes are chamfered (countersunk). This gives an "O" ring of sealant around the fastener. For a given amount of movement the thicker the sealant the more movement is allowed before the seal breaks. When the hardware moves under strain, and it will slightly, the sealant used must allow enough stretch without the seal being broken. Butyl excels at this, more so than any other sealant, which will harden over time and lose its elasticity. My CS27, like Maine's CS36T, was built with butyl under all deck hardware and there are no issues 30+ years later - including the hull/deck joint.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.