Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape - Page 31 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree46Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #301  
Old 12-05-2013
Maine Sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maine Coast
Posts: 5,745
Thanks: 17
Thanked 186 Times in 145 Posts
Rep Power: 16
Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel View Post
What about bedding deck hardware to an old teak deck? Still use butyl? What would you seal the teak with?
It is used for this all the time and works very well. Also cleans off the teak easier than polyruethanes which tend to take half the deck with it when you remvoe them..

A teak deck is most always left to age natural silver so it is not slippery. Some use teak oils on teak decks but they can become slick in nasty weather......
christian.hess likes this.
__________________
______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #302  
Old 12-06-2013
christian.hess's Avatar
"Nubile Southern Sailor"
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Columbus, Ga
Posts: 4,504
Thanks: 179
Thanked 180 Times in 176 Posts
Rep Power: 2
christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

sorry if this is not kosher to do...but I dont think they will let me import this wonderful product down here for cheap

so even though its black I have found some down here...sorry if I have missed it but can this work even though I cant confirm its the same quality as used here?

thanks
copacabana likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #303  
Old 12-06-2013
Maine Sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maine Coast
Posts: 5,745
Thanks: 17
Thanked 186 Times in 145 Posts
Rep Power: 16
Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
sorry if this is not kosher to do...but I dont think they will let me import this wonderful product down here for cheap

so even though its black I have found some down here...sorry if I have missed it but can this work even though I cant confirm its the same quality as used here?

thanks
It will "work" but the questions will be:

For how long?
Will it bleed and continue to bleed when hot?
Will it stain?
Will it remain flexible enough to keep the seal when it is 1/64" thick?
How is it affected by typical cleaning chemicals?

I have tested over 40 brands so know that very few of them can meet my standards. I can't have even hazard a guess as to how that product will perform as there are vast differences in how butyls perform...

Blacks usually have okay stretch performance but are darn messy and tend to bleed longer....

My shipping down there is quite expensive so I would say to try it. You can also re-do easily because unlike a PU sealant is will not be near permanent... You really have nothing to lose by trying it...
christian.hess likes this.
__________________
______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (12-07-2013)
  #304  
Old 12-06-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
axel is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
It is used for this all the time and works very well. Also cleans off the teak easier than polyruethanes which tend to take half the deck with it when you remvoe them..

A teak deck is most always left to age natural silver so it is not slippery. Some use teak oils on teak decks but they can become slick in nasty weather......
Thanks Maine Sail!

I prefer the teak silvered, so I won't oil it or try to treat it in any way. But the question was whether I should seal the teak under the hardware to ensure adhesion for the butyl.

When I take off the hardware for rebedding (genoatracks, chainplates, stanchions, etc.) I could apply epoxy or varnish to the parts of the teak that will afterwards be covered. Earlier in the thread it has been recommended to seal wood before attaching with butyl as sealant. However, none of the cases referred to mounting hardware on a teak deck, which is why I asked my question.

As I stated, the teak deck is old and weathered, and previous owners have sanded it down, at least once, without taking off the hardware. Thus, the genua tracks and other stuff stands a bit proud, a couple of millimeters above the rest of the deck. When I take the hardware off, it is therefore easy to sand off a little, to ensure all previous sealant has been removed. That of course freshens the teak. So the question is really if the butyl will adhere well to this fresh teak, or whether I ought to seal it somehow.

Sorry for being so longwinded, I just want to be sure that my question is clear. And thanks a lot for you help in this thread and elsewhere on the net!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #305  
Old 12-06-2013
Maine Sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maine Coast
Posts: 5,745
Thanks: 17
Thanked 186 Times in 145 Posts
Rep Power: 16
Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel View Post
Thanks Maine Sail!

I prefer the teak silvered, so I won't oil it or try to treat it in any way. But the question was whether I should seal the teak under the hardware to ensure adhesion for the butyl.

When I take off the hardware for rebedding (genoatracks, chainplates, stanchions, etc.) I could apply epoxy or varnish to the parts of the teak that will afterwards be covered. Earlier in the thread it has been recommended to seal wood before attaching with butyl as sealant. However, none of the cases referred to mounting hardware on a teak deck, which is why I asked my question.

As I stated, the teak deck is old and weathered, and previous owners have sanded it down, at least once, without taking off the hardware. Thus, the genua tracks and other stuff stands a bit proud, a couple of millimeters above the rest of the deck. When I take the hardware off, it is therefore easy to sand off a little, to ensure all previous sealant has been removed. That of course freshens the teak. So the question is really if the butyl will adhere well to this fresh teak, or whether I ought to seal it somehow.

Sorry for being so longwinded, I just want to be sure that my question is clear. And thanks a lot for you help in this thread and elsewhere on the net!
You can seal it if you want to, but you don't need to...
__________________
______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
axel (12-07-2013)
  #306  
Old 12-07-2013
christian.hess's Avatar
"Nubile Southern Sailor"
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Columbus, Ga
Posts: 4,504
Thanks: 179
Thanked 180 Times in 176 Posts
Rep Power: 2
christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
It will "work" but the questions will be:

For how long?
Will it bleed and continue to bleed when hot?
Will it stain?
Will it remain flexible enough to keep the seal when it is 1/64" thick?
How is it affected by typical cleaning chemicals?

I have tested over 40 brands so know that very few of them can meet my standards. I can't have even hazard a guess as to how that product will perform as there are vast differences in how butyls perform...

Blacks usually have okay stretch performance but are darn messy and tend to bleed longer....

My shipping down there is quite expensive so I would say to try it. You can also re-do easily because unlike a PU sealant is will not be near permanent... You really have nothing to lose by trying it...
maybe I read wrong do you mean shipping is quite expensive or INEXPENSIVE? jajaja

maybe Ill have to bite the bullet

thanks bud
christian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #307  
Old 12-09-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Alaska and the rest of the world
Posts: 17
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
svhandy is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

That was great thank you

Again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #308  
Old 12-10-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brazil
Posts: 981
Thanks: 3
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 8
copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
sorry if this is not kosher to do...but I dont think they will let me import this wonderful product down here for cheap

so even though its black I have found some down here...sorry if I have missed it but can this work even though I cant confirm its the same quality as used here?

thanks
Christian, I found myself in the same position here in Brazil. I couldn't find butyl tape anywhere and at the time Mainsail didn't ship here. I ended up finding it through a Sika dealer (they are strong in Latin America and they have a dealer in El Salvador). The product is called Sika Lastomer (I forget which product number exactly, but look on their site- it's the pale beige tape clearly described as a butyl rubber based product). It is excellent stuff and you might be able to find it in El Salvador. I ended up having to buy a whole box (24 rolls!) as the local dealer couldn't order less, so if you ever head down to Brazil I have some for you!
oldfurr and christian.hess like this.
__________________
Vindö 50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to copacabana For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (12-10-2013)
  #309  
Old 12-10-2013
christian.hess's Avatar
"Nubile Southern Sailor"
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Columbus, Ga
Posts: 4,504
Thanks: 179
Thanked 180 Times in 176 Posts
Rep Power: 2
christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

someday Ill cruise to brasil...for now...that info is woth gold!

thanks so much copa and and mainesail

christian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #310  
Old 12-29-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 96
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
justonemoreproject is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

I am bedding various pieces of countersunk hardware on a wooden deck: jib tracks, pad eyes, stanchions, etc. But I am unable to follow Mainsail's tutorial because the bolts are threaded through the deck and so I have to turn the head of the screw in order to screw it through the deck to seat it…which scrapes off the butyl as it seats in the hardware.
Should I enlarge the bolt holes in the deck slightly so that the bolts can be inserted with out turning them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Techniques for Removing Teak Decks Sue & Larry Buying a Boat Articles 0 11-24-2003 07:00 PM
Mounting Deck Hardware Tom Wood Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 06-25-2002 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:02 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.