Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013

endoit is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Thanks for the clarification, I guess I will be ordering butyl tape soon. Would you also use this product between wood and fiberglass deck or winches and wood?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I would use it anywhere above the waterline where the item is bolted in place. I don't think an item attached with screws can always compress it enough. It can be dissolved by fuel as well.

If attaching wood or to wood I would make sure the wood is sealed and not bare. Varnish, paint, or ideally the wood is epoxy sealed first, as it probably should be anyway for longevity.
Old 12-05-2013

axel is on a distinguished road

What about bedding deck hardware to an old teak deck? Still use butyl? What would you seal the teak with?
Old 12-05-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

You could seal the deck with Cetol or any of a number of varnishes out there.
Yes, I would seal deck hardware to a wood deck with it.

I do NOT think I would use it for below-the-waterline applications. There are some things that the 3M products are still good for.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 12-05-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel View Post
What about bedding deck hardware to an old teak deck? Still use butyl? What would you seal the teak with?
It is used for this all the time and works very well. Also cleans off the teak easier than polyruethanes which tend to take half the deck with it when you remvoe them..

A teak deck is most always left to age natural silver so it is not slippery. Some use teak oils on teak decks but they can become slick in nasty weather......
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-06-2013

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

sorry if this is not kosher to do...but I dont think they will let me import this wonderful product down here for cheap

so even though its black I have found some down here...sorry if I have missed it but can this work even though I cant confirm its the same quality as used here?

thanks
copacabana likes this.
Old 12-06-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
sorry if this is not kosher to do...but I dont think they will let me import this wonderful product down here for cheap

so even though its black I have found some down here...sorry if I have missed it but can this work even though I cant confirm its the same quality as used here?

thanks
It will "work" but the questions will be:

For how long?
Will it bleed and continue to bleed when hot?
Will it stain?
Will it remain flexible enough to keep the seal when it is 1/64" thick?
How is it affected by typical cleaning chemicals?

I have tested over 40 brands so know that very few of them can meet my standards. I can't have even hazard a guess as to how that product will perform as there are vast differences in how butyls perform...

Blacks usually have okay stretch performance but are darn messy and tend to bleed longer....

My shipping down there is quite expensive so I would say to try it. You can also re-do easily because unlike a PU sealant is will not be near permanent... You really have nothing to lose by trying it...
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (12-07-2013)
Old 12-06-2013

axel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
It is used for this all the time and works very well. Also cleans off the teak easier than polyruethanes which tend to take half the deck with it when you remvoe them..

A teak deck is most always left to age natural silver so it is not slippery. Some use teak oils on teak decks but they can become slick in nasty weather......
Thanks Maine Sail!

I prefer the teak silvered, so I won't oil it or try to treat it in any way. But the question was whether I should seal the teak under the hardware to ensure adhesion for the butyl.

When I take off the hardware for rebedding (genoatracks, chainplates, stanchions, etc.) I could apply epoxy or varnish to the parts of the teak that will afterwards be covered. Earlier in the thread it has been recommended to seal wood before attaching with butyl as sealant. However, none of the cases referred to mounting hardware on a teak deck, which is why I asked my question.

As I stated, the teak deck is old and weathered, and previous owners have sanded it down, at least once, without taking off the hardware. Thus, the genua tracks and other stuff stands a bit proud, a couple of millimeters above the rest of the deck. When I take the hardware off, it is therefore easy to sand off a little, to ensure all previous sealant has been removed. That of course freshens the teak. So the question is really if the butyl will adhere well to this fresh teak, or whether I ought to seal it somehow.

Sorry for being so longwinded, I just want to be sure that my question is clear. And thanks a lot for you help in this thread and elsewhere on the net!
Old 12-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel View Post
Thanks Maine Sail!

I prefer the teak silvered, so I won't oil it or try to treat it in any way. But the question was whether I should seal the teak under the hardware to ensure adhesion for the butyl.

When I take off the hardware for rebedding (genoatracks, chainplates, stanchions, etc.) I could apply epoxy or varnish to the parts of the teak that will afterwards be covered. Earlier in the thread it has been recommended to seal wood before attaching with butyl as sealant. However, none of the cases referred to mounting hardware on a teak deck, which is why I asked my question.

As I stated, the teak deck is old and weathered, and previous owners have sanded it down, at least once, without taking off the hardware. Thus, the genua tracks and other stuff stands a bit proud, a couple of millimeters above the rest of the deck. When I take the hardware off, it is therefore easy to sand off a little, to ensure all previous sealant has been removed. That of course freshens the teak. So the question is really if the butyl will adhere well to this fresh teak, or whether I ought to seal it somehow.

Sorry for being so longwinded, I just want to be sure that my question is clear. And thanks a lot for you help in this thread and elsewhere on the net!
You can seal it if you want to, but you don't need to...

The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
axel (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
It will "work" but the questions will be:

For how long?
Will it bleed and continue to bleed when hot?
Will it stain?
Will it remain flexible enough to keep the seal when it is 1/64" thick?
How is it affected by typical cleaning chemicals?

I have tested over 40 brands so know that very few of them can meet my standards. I can't have even hazard a guess as to how that product will perform as there are vast differences in how butyls perform...

Blacks usually have okay stretch performance but are darn messy and tend to bleed longer....

My shipping down there is quite expensive so I would say to try it. You can also re-do easily because unlike a PU sealant is will not be near permanent... You really have nothing to lose by trying it...
maybe I read wrong do you mean shipping is quite expensive or INEXPENSIVE? jajaja

maybe Ill have to bite the bullet

thanks bud
christian