Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

I have a question that didn't come up on the searches too well.. I have rebed my diesel fuel fill deck fittings and I'm not sure what to use. I know to use butyl for things that get stressed like life line sanctions, cleats, etc. But these are pretty static pieces and really only see temperature changed. I was thinking something like 4200 or possibly boat life caulk? I don't want them to move nor do I plan on removing them anytime soon since I'm changing the hoses as well. I just figured the butyl will be affected by the diesel fuel.

Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2014

James757 is on a distinguished road

Maine Sail,
Sorry to comment on a 4 yr old post, but I have to thank you for all the information you provided on bedding with butyl tape. I am new to sailing and rebedding deck fittings was my first DIY project. I am very happy with the results.

Great information and easy to follow instructions.

Sorry to the group, I would have sent an PM but I do not have enough posts yet.
Old 06-10-2014

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
I have a question that didn't come up on the searches too well.. I have rebed my diesel fuel fill deck fittings and I'm not sure what to use. I know to use butyl for things that get stressed like life line sanctions, cleats, etc. But these are pretty static pieces and really only see temperature changed. I was thinking something like 4200 or possibly boat life caulk? I don't want them to move nor do I plan on removing them anytime soon since I'm changing the hoses as well. I just figured the butyl will be affected by the diesel fuel.

Bump

Old 06-10-2014
Living the dream

ReefMagnet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bump

Butyl tape would dissolve in contact with diesel and polyurethane will also eventually turn to mush. However, in this application it is only spillage that contacts the sealing compound so I would say that 4200 would be an adequate choice.

For applications in permanent contact with diesel fuel, nitrile rubber is the choice. This can also include nitrile impregnated cork gasket material. For total sealing on uneven surfaces the seal can be supplemented with gasket compounds like those made by Permatex that are resistant to diesel fuel.
Old 06-10-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:

Sabre bedded fuel fills for years with butyl tape and I've not seen any negatives. I generally recommend a marine sealant for fuel fills if spills can pool around it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-12-2014

markh3084 is on a distinguished road

Hello all.

This is a great thread, which I have been following to some degree as I prepare for tasks with my boat project. Today, I cut out the hole for a deck hatch install expecting to see something like the photos included on the link at the start of this thread to the 'photo how to' on preventing boat through deck rot. However, when I finished cutting the hole, this is what I found. Not a balsa or ply core but a 'hollow-core' build. So, is this normal?

When I look close, I can see about 1mm of gel-coat, fibre glass, then about 12mm of cavity, followed by more fibreglass and then the inside 1mm of what I presume is gel-coat. (yes, metric, it's all I know ) The total deck width is 25mm.

The deck hatch I purchased has an aluminium frame with about 12 holes that I still need to drill. The last photo shows what the previous owner did at the pop top, so I was thinking of inserting strips of timber into the cavity, sealing it with epoxy resin in some fashion, and when its cured, following the process described on page one of this thread.

Any comments or tips before I botch it all up??? Should I use ply or balsa or something else? What is a good way to seal it, do I coat it with epoxy before I insert the timber strips or after?

It was quite a moment when you first cut into your deck with a jigsaw!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape-img_2235.jpg   Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape-img_2239.jpg   Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape-img_2240.jpg   Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape-img_2241.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014

Bacchus258 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh3084 View Post
Hello all.

This is a great thread, which I have been following to some degree as I prepare for tasks with my boat project. Today, I cut out the hole for a deck hatch install expecting to see something like the photos included on the link at the start of this thread to the 'photo how to' on preventing boat through deck rot. However, when I finished cutting the hole, this is what I found. Not a balsa or ply core but a 'hollow-core' build. So, is this normal?

When I look close, I can see about 1mm of gel-coat, fibre glass, then about 12mm of cavity, followed by more fibreglass and then the inside 1mm of what I presume is gel-coat. (yes, metric, it's all I know ) The total deck width is 25mm.

The deck hatch I purchased has an aluminium frame with about 12 holes that I still need to drill. The last photo shows what the previous owner did at the pop top, so I was thinking of inserting strips of timber into the cavity, sealing it with epoxy resin in some fashion, and when its cured, following the process described on page one of this thread.

Any comments or tips before I botch it all up??? Should I use ply or balsa or something else? What is a good way to seal it, do I coat it with epoxy before I insert the timber strips or after?

It was quite a moment when you first cut into your deck with a jigsaw!!!!
My Watkins 27 is constructed like this as well. When I removed the forward hatch it had plywood strips inserted into the cavity that the screws went into. The period was rotted so I think I am going to use plywood again but first coat it with epoxy. You can see pictures here ourbigtooth.blogspot.com Since the hatch does not have thru bolts I don't think I can use butyl tape for this application.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bacchus258; 07-17-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2014

CHIPPIEGIRL is on a distinguished road

Thank You for such an excellent explanation. I appreciate he time and energy it took for you to present such a good tutorial on this subject. Please pass the countersinks and the butyl tape . Cheers to you.
Old 07-18-2014

Zarathu is on a distinguished road

I can't find butyl in my area so I will be using 3M4200 in place of it. Wish I could find butyl tape since it would be cheaper if I could buy it in less than the 100 foot roll. Why would I buy a 100 foot roll, when I only need 6 inches? And why would they only sell it that way???????????
Old 07-18-2014

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I can't find butyl in my area so I will be using 3M4200 in place of it. Wish I could find butyl tape since it would be cheaper if I could buy it in less than the 100 foot roll. Why would I buy a 100 foot roll, when I only need 6 inches? And why would they only sell it that way???????????
It's not like it's terribly expensive. $30 from Mainesail right? And it will last for years. You'll spend $12 on a bottle of 4200 and next time you try to use it it will be dried up. So I don't think that's a major cost saver.

Last edited by asdf38; 07-18-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.