Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010

mhancock is on a distinguished road
Butyl Tape

I have been using butyl tape for years. You can buy rolls of it at most RV centers. I get it at one near my marina and pay about $5 a roll. That is why West Marine and others don't sell it. It is way too cheap.

Another benefit - the leftover 4200 and such in a tube will harden and get thrown away - you don't have any waste with butyl.

I keep a ball of it handy while I work on the boat. Need to plug some holes temporarily? Just stuff some butyl tape in the hole. I plugged some holes when I removed deck hardware when I was painting the boat. Had no leaks at all.

I also use a bit of it on the end of a screw to "glue" it to a screwdriver when needed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2010
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

Here's how I bed with butyl.

Thanks Main Sail.

Well done, as always.
Old 06-13-2010

WDaniels is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What about using butyl tape on the chain plates that previously had silicon chalk? I tried removing as much of the chalk as possible, but the butyl tape still doesn't seem to want to stick the that chain plates themselves or the covers that screw on. Is there a trick from getting the adhesive action of the tape to work with previously siliconed metal, or should I not worry and just bolt them down?
Funjohnson,
Soften up and clean off the silicon with "Maring Formula" by DeBond Corp and wipe clean with acetone or some other solvent that will not leave any residue behind. Then get Sikaflex 210T Primer. Apply primer to the metal as the directions say. No more problems with butyl tape sticking to any metal.

Mhancock,
What I do to keep 4200, 5200 or any other sealant that uses moisture to cure, I remove the plastic point and clean off the tip down a little then incert a button head screw that the head is the same size as the tip. Now for the secret part, I go out and buy a container of "RedCaps". The container looks and is almost the size of a can of chewing tobacco. The red caps are rubber and look like mini condoms. They go over the tip of the adhesive. It will keep out all moisture. They are designed to go over the plastic tip and pull down, hence the condom look. But I've found that it doesn't keep the adhesive long that way. The way I described on doing it I have used a tube of 5200 for over 3 months and still flow out the tube. Just my 2 cents worth.
WD
Old 06-13-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
I like the idea! However, I do have a question about sealing the hole in your vessel. Are you planning on the Butyl to prevent water from getting between the layers or are you drilling through solid glass?

If you're drilling through core then I'd consider adding some glass and resin to protect the hole from absorbing moisture. Other than that, it appears that the Butyl will do quite well in your application, and come apart easier that 5200.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Maine Sail, myself and others have addressed potting the core material properly in several threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanscapt View Post
I like the idea! However, I do have a question about sealing the hole in your vessel. Are you planning on the Butyl to prevent water from getting between the layers or are you drilling through solid glass?

If you're drilling through core then I'd consider adding some glass and resin to protect the hole from absorbing moisture. Other than that, it appears that the Butyl will do quite well in your application, and come apart easier that 5200.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-08-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
I did both my grabrails with butyl a couple of weeks ago, used an impact driver to tighten them down progressively over the course of a long afternoon, then trimmed up the excess the next morning with a plastic razor blade.

The problem is that I am still getting a tiny additional bead of squeeze out after a day or two. I've cleaned it up three times now and it keeps coming back. You have to look very close to even see it, but it is enough that I think it will collect dirt over time, get on lines or gloves, and etc.

I covered the entire pad rather than just a bit in the middle as in the pic above. Is that the source of my trouble?
Old 07-08-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydanynom View Post

I covered the entire pad rather than just a bit in the middle as in the pic above. Is that the source of my trouble?
Others here have pointed out that if you don't cover the entire surface water can get in between and freeze, potentially damaging stuff. I have found that the seeping never stops. Personally, I no longer use butyl tape on tracks and other areas with moving parts. I used it on my traveler once and it got into the bearings.

Old 07-10-2010
Mr. Bill

e-27 sailor is on a distinguished road
I've spent the last several weeks re-bedding a lot of hardware, removing deck coring, filling with epoxy, re-drilling fastener holes, and remounting with butyl tape. In the past, I've used other products, but I'm now convinced butyl tape has to be the easiest product I’ve ever used.

Now it's time for the chainplates, and my concern is getting enough butyl tape below the deck and between the chainplate-deck gap without enlarging the gap too much. My thought is to heat up both the chanplate and then wrap the butyl tape on, heat the tape, and the slide the chainplate from the top. I could then try to pack more butyl from above. The other option is Boatlife, which is more viscous.
Old 07-11-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You shouldn't need that much butyl tape for the chainplates. Heating the butyl tape and then working it into the gap between the chainplate and the deck with a plastic putty knife is probably your best bet.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-22-2010

floatsome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oomfh View Post
A plastic straw is a good tool for making a hole in butyl tape.
Brilliant!