Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-05-2010
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road
Proper mounting of masthead anchor light

Greetings... I picked up an Aqua Signal series 40 all-around light for my masthead, but it only came with the light - no brackets. It looks to me like I could just use holes in its base for both wiring and mounting, drill the mast top, tap, and use some machine screws (of course with tef-gel). This would mount the light directly on the mast head. Perhaps a layer of some kind of goop for a gasket...

Is it really that easy, or is there some reason why I'd regret this approach and need to seek out a bracket?

Thanks!
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2010

thekeip is on a distinguished road
You're right on. The Aqua Sig is one of the few that really does mount well to a flat surface. You should pay attention to the wire cable entrance though....strain relief, and all that. Otherwise, duck soup. (I always wondered what duck soup had to do with anything)....Anyway, an easy install. Use the opportunity to replace the bulb with the LED variety...it's way cool.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley
Old 04-06-2010
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

Wow. For once in this refit project I've actually stumbled on something that's as easy as it appears at first glance. Must be time to replace the through-hulls and find a delaminated hull section!

Thanks for confirming!
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2010
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
Note that if you replace the bulb with the LED variety, it will no longer be USCG certified.

The Dr. LED bulb has had design changes since it's certification, and I believe is thus no longer certified.
Old 04-06-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
For certification the complete fixture with bulb has to be approved. There are no bulbs that are certified by themselves.
Old 04-07-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
If it not too late you can always return the light and go for their Series 32 tri/anchor. It is twice the cost, but certified and already an LED. It is also shorter than the series 40 and I think it looks better.

When I rewire my mast I will be making the change.
________
Vapolution

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like the AQ Series 32, but be aware their mounting design leaves a lot to be desired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
If it not too late you can always return the light and go for their Series 32 tri/anchor. It is twice the cost, but certified and already an LED. It is also shorter than the series 40 and I think it looks better.

When I rewire my mast I will be making the change.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-07-2010
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

I took a long hard look at the LED options, and while I'm all for it, my budget is a bit constrained by this refit. I picked up the light on eBay for a great price, which is the only reason I picked the 40. I have 2 group 27 batteries, and not much electrical demand at all, so it won't kill me to use it in a stock configuration. For that matter, 90% of my use is day sailing that ends up back at my marina. I didn't even use my nav lights until I'd owned the boat for two months

I'm very tempted to use one of the aftermarket LED bulbs but for now I'm just trying to focus on getting the housing mounted and wires pulled through the conduit. If I have time before the mast gets stepped I'll think about upgrading the bulb, but I suspect my schedule and budget will nix the idea.

Thanks for all the feedback!
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

Old 04-07-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
cghubbell,

Pictures please. Other people will want to follow in your footsteps.

Regards,
BRad
. .
. .
Old 04-07-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Really are you that concerned about following the law that you need your anchor bulb to be USCG certified? Really?

Do you expect the coasties to climb up to the top of the mast and check inside your fixture to see if the bulb was certified?

I know someone is going to argue that it is for insurance purposes. Sure that is a great argument, if you have insurance!