Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-06-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Furling Saga Update

And now for the latest installment of As The Furler Turns.

I posted an earlier thread in which I wondered about whether we could disassemble the furling drum without having to remove the entire forestay.

As it turns out, the forestay is fine--just the original forestay circa 1987. Further, SD will be pleased to learn that there is no damage from halyard wrap. It just should have been replace at least 8 years ago, but that is another story.

My rigger and I have confirmed that the drum itself is the problem, but we can't get more specific without taking it apart. Meanwhile, the nearest Schaefer dealer tells us that a drum re-build kit costs $1,000. Then there is the labour to install it. We are talking about a Schaefer System 2000 that hasn't been manufactured for some time. It is so old that Schaefer's USA rep had a hell of time just digging up one small brochure.

So my choice are:
  1. Go with a re-build. The downside to this is that this thing is old.
  2. Go with a new furling system. My rigger is suggesting a system called a Bamar C1 Crociera. Does anyone have any experience with this make and model? Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

If the cost of the re-build kit + labour gets close to the cost of a new furler, the decision will be that much easier.

Meanwhile, info and comments are appreciated.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Never heard of a Bamar C1 Crociera. I'd recommend going with a Furlex, Harken or Profurl unit. I've used all three, installed the last two, and own the first one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-07-2010
Seńor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Although not answering your actual question, I'd also give high marks to our ProFurl unit. Virtually impossible to get halyard wraps with the design of the top of the foil. Advertised as "maintenance free" and so far it has been, other than rinsing it down now and again.
Old 04-07-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I just replaced the furler on our C36 with a Profurl after a lot of research. I would have gone with Harken, Schaefer or Furlex, but all were signficantly more expensive and all I needed was a reliable system that allowed furling the headsail. If you race, you probably want Harken. If you have more of a budget than I did, then a new Schaefer or Furlex should be considered alongside the Profurl.

I would argue that any of the "big four" (Harken, Schaefer, Furlex or Proful) would be a good choice and will likely add more to the resale value of your boat than an unknown brand, even if it happens to be a good furler. People tend to like what they are familar with and at least here in the States, the above brands are all well known. I know there are some other good furler brands out there (Facnor come to mind), but the brands I mentioned are familar sites at any marina in the US and beyond.
Old 04-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't forget Facnor or Alado...While I don't have personal experience with either, they both come highly recommended by people I trust.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-07-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I would concur with going with a replacement, and getting a name brand. I am a big fan of Furlex and feel they are worth the premium they require.

A decision factor selecting a new system...know what size luff tape is on your sail(s), as replacing the tape to fit a new system will add to the cost, and depending on the number of headsails, it could be significant.
Old 04-07-2010

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
Deal of the century!

If you decide to go with a Harken MKIV Unit 1 and need one additional foil extension, let me know. If you're willing to pay the postage, I'll send it to you. Obviously, you'll also need to buy the additional connector but you'd be somewhere around $100 better off.

Harken compu-spec said I'd need the extra foil, but (as it turned out) I didn't. So, if you want it...it's yours as long as you pay me back for the postage.

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"
Old 04-08-2010
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
I installed an Alado on my Islander 30 all by my self a few years ago. It's been great! and trouble free. It has very few moving parts and you don't have to worry about Halyard wrap as the Alado has a halyard integrated into the furler. This frees up an extra Halyard on the mast for what ever you might need it for.
Great Unit, Great Price, Great Service....easy install and with a minimum of hassel. My kind of equipment!