Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-07-2010

bryanphaas is on a distinguished road
T26 Sails on a Catalina 27 TR?

Please forgive my ignorance as I am trying to increase my sail inventory as cheaply as possible before I can install my roller furling and buy a new roller furling foresail.

I have a 1974 Catalina Tall Rig about to splash in Chicago for it's first full season. I've spent the past winter restoring her to a sailable condition, which unfortunately leaves little remaining budget for new sails.
I currently have a 150%, which is in 30% condition, and a main. Needless to say the only days I can get out are very light wind days.

Id like to temporarily increase my inventory so I can at least get out on days where it is blowing more than 10kts. The idea is to buy me time for a season or two, cheaply, while I budget for the new furling sail.

I've come across the following sails for dirt cheap; but they are off a Tartan 26. Can anyone tell me if they would work well enough?
I realize that they are smaller, but that is kinda the whole idea (less sail area than my 150%)

Genoa: 31 x 31 x 20, luff x leech x foot.
Working Jib/Storm Sail 19 x 15 x 9, luff x leech x foot
Storm Jib 11 x 13.5 x 7, luff x leech x foot.

The Catalina TR has the following measurements
I: 36ft
J: 12.2ft
P 29.66 FT
E: 9.66ft

According to sailrite; the sailplans for a Catalina 27 TR are as follows: (Luff leech foot)
Genoa: 36.11 x 33.82 x 19.84
Jib: 30.41 x 26.15 x 16.32
Storm 20.91 x 16.92 x 9.25

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by bryanphaas; 04-07-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
If you can get them cheap, they are in reasonably better shape than what you have, and they fit, go for it. Especially if in a few yrs you figure you can get a new sail or two or three. I know a few folks that have gotten great deals on sails going used. BUT< you have to be ready to pounce when they show up.

marty
Old 04-07-2010

My concern is if they will fit, or be a complete waste of money. Granted the seller is asking about 200 for all three, but that could be 200$ towards the furling sail if this is a complete joke of an idea.
Old 04-07-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Are these all hank-on sails at this point? Provided the sheeting points (ie track postitions) will work for the "new" sails they'll get you by for the duration.

But don't forget that when you go to the furler you'll be needing to get any sails you wish to continue to use converted to luff tape - another additional cost.

You don't get much for $200 these days, so even if you only get one or two seasons out of these sails it's probably money well spent considering your present headsail is pretty much toast.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-07-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
the T26 jib is too small to be useful, the genoa too large. Try some other sources for something 110-100%. Say Atlantic Sail Traders - Used sails, New sails, Sail Broker
Old 04-07-2010

Therein lies the issue; while I realize that the sizes wont be great; the cost is approx 200$; which is far less than I would pay for even one sail from a used sail loft. The goal is be able to sail in more than 10kts of wind (maybe not sail efficiently, but sail nonetheless)

if nothing else; I think the Working Jib/Storm Sail would make a great Storm Sail for the Catalina27tr, as the measurements are almost correct; and the Genoa; though much shorter, could be workable.
The storm sail for sale likely would be too small, but may make a decent emergency sail (its 30$ and apparently brand new)

Thanks all for your input; I greatly appreciate it.

Its not easy affording this sport (im 27), but entirely worth it!
Old 04-07-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanphaas View Post
....if nothing else; I think the Working Jib/Storm Sail would make a great Storm Sail for the Catalina27tr, as the measurements are almost correct; and the Genoa; though much shorter, could be workable. ...
The storm sail for sale likely would be too small, but may make a decent emergency sail (its 30$ and apparently brand new)....!
The jib may the right size for a storm sail but the material would be too light to use it as a storm sail. You'd be fooling yourself to have it on the boat as such...as to an even smaller "emergency" sail, what type of emergency might it help with, a hurricane? Better to avoid tieing up v-bearth space to store useless sails. You need a small jib, spend the money necessary to buy one. You can later convert it to roller furling.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.