Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-07-2010

Bump is on a distinguished road
Smelly Boat Cushions

My interior saloon cushions smell of mold, mildew and god knows what. I am thinking of soaking them in a mild (10%) bleech sloution to get the stink out. Can anyone think of a better way??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, take the cushions and spray them with KO. Saturate them so that the KO penetrates to the center of the foam, if it is open cell foam. KO will kill the bacteria, mold, mildew and other biologicals that are making the cushions stink. Then leave them out in the sun to dry.

This is per Peggie Hall's instructions, and she really is a good source for controlling odors on a boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-07-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
do they make a roll-on or stick?

Old 04-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sorry, with your BO problems, even KO isn't going to be effective...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
do they make a roll-on or stick?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-07-2010
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road
Ko

What the *** is KO. I think I need an acronim lesson. I don,t text, tweet or whatever.....I have issues with the computer. Showing my age I guess...They have this type of communication called the Kings English, just when I thouht I had it mastered they invented new shi*.....Anyhow is this KO like say Fabrize spray? Red
Old 04-07-2010
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road
Well now I feel foolish, just ckicked on KO......
Old 04-07-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
next, look up "missing link"...

Old 04-07-2010

TheMadchef is on a distinguished road
I am planning to rent a steam cleaner to clean all my cushions with... But also I highly recommend purchasing an ozone generator. Ozone Is incredible in it's ability to remove odours on boats. Once you've cleaned all your cushions and cleaned the interior of your boat with a mild bleach solution, run the ozonator overnight (when you're not in the boat, ozone is bad for you to breath) and you won't believe the difference. Ozone also kills hidden mold and mildew on contact where other cleaners can't reach.
Old 04-07-2010
Telstar 28

Umm...there is a reason I made it a link...
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead78 View Post
Well now I feel foolish, just ckicked on KO......

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-07-2010
Telstar 28

I'd point out that most ozone generators that are sufficient to kill mold and mildew spores and destroy the odors aboard your boat, are also strong enough to damage plastic and rubber compounds that make up your boat. Ozone is highly destructive and not too healthy for humans either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadchef View Post
I am planning to rent a steam cleaner to clean all my cushions with... But also I highly recommend purchasing an ozone generator. Ozone Is incredible in it's ability to remove odours on boats. Once you've cleaned all your cushions and cleaned the interior of your boat with a mild bleach solution, run the ozonator overnight (when you're not in the boat, ozone is bad for you to breath) and you won't believe the difference. Ozone also kills hidden mold and mildew on contact where other cleaners can't reach.

Telstar 28
New England