Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-07-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Replacing deck fill port - that thing is really on there

I have a deck fill port that I can't open. In fact, I tried using a ladder whil on the hard, using an extension tube over the "key" for more torque. And the very helpful pump-out guy in Martha's Vinyard tried his best and managed to get the *other* stuck port open, but couldn't get this one open either. (He did this on his own, without my asking. That's how they are on MVI.)

Is there a secret way to get that thing open? (I already tried PB Blaster, no luck.)

Barring that, it's really on there. I'm guessing they used 4200 or maybe 5200. Has anyone replaced on of these? I'm thinking about drilling through the top cap and then using a sawzall to gut outward toward the cap's threads, getting close to the threads and then using a chisel to get the pieces out. (The hose to the water tank is already detached on the underside, so nothing would get into the water tank.) Maybe I can salvage the fitting that way and just replace the cap itself.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
get a can of super duster for a computer, turn it up side down and spray the heck out of the center of the cap, freeze that sucker solid. then try to unscrew it. if it does not work then try heating it slightly with a torch, ie cycle the it from one end to the other a few times. then try is again when it frozen, if it wont let go then freeze it some more and take a ball peen hammer to the center of the cap. this should pop the center of the cap then try a chisel to break it up some more till you get the pieces out.
Old 04-08-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
get a can of super duster for a computer, turn it up side down and spray the heck out of the center of the cap, freeze that sucker solid. then try to unscrew it. if it does not work then try heating it slightly with a torch, ie cycle the it from one end to the other a few times. then try is again when it frozen, if it wont let go then freeze it some more and take a ball peen hammer to the center of the cap. this should pop the center of the cap then try a chisel to break it up some more till you get the pieces out.
Thanks Scotty, that would sure beat the brute force method.

Maybe I can get ahold of some liquid nitrogen. (I used to work with liquid nitrogen years ago.) Heating the port from underneath with a blow torch while aplying liquid nitrogen to the center of the fill cap would be about as extreme a use of metal expansion/contraction as I could get. And the center of the cap is a socket for a winch handle-type wrench/opener - perfect for containing some liquid nitrogen.

It's a 2-person job. 3-person if we make a video or get good pictures to post.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 04-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the fitting is such a problem, why not just replace it. It only takes a short time to do so, and the amount of time saved is probably worth the cost of the new deck fill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-08-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
sd is right about replacing the whole thing, unless it is so glued in it would damage the deck trying to get it out. and now we said damage i would not use nitrogen that might be too cold for the deck and make it too brittle.

i would give it the freeze heat cycle for a little if that does not do it replace it
Old 04-12-2010
Emerging Sailor

erikdj is on a distinguished road
I second replacement. I just replaced two water deck fills on my 1979 cruiser. The port side one was so corroded that it broke into 3 pieces as I was trying to remove it (at first with just my hands and then with a chisel to get the rest out). All in all, it could have been a day's work except that I decided to chamfer, route and fill the core with epoxy before rebedding the new fills. But even with epoxy drying, it was basically a 2 day job.. Done.. And now the fills are shiny, new and will probably outlast the rest of the boat. :-) Plus these new models don't require a key (something that invariably gets lost or dropped in the water).

BTW, it was my first "real" repair job. And thanks to this forum, I was smart enough to follow good procedures and use butyl tape instead of one of those hideous cement products (Which I think the PO used to install the waste pump out).. eek

E
Old 04-12-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Bene, I ran into the same problem with my Waste deck-plate. It hadn't been touched in years and was basically welded with corrosion. I ended up pulling the whole assembly off the deck, taking it home, soaking it in WD40, then mounting it to a piece of plywood, drilling out the plate wrench holes, through-bolting a pipe to the cap, blasting it with a blowtorch...and it came off...eventually.

I then filled the holes with sealant and put it all back on the boat.

Now, I did all this because I refuse to spend any real money on this boat. It's just for play and for learning how to deal with crappy systems.

If it were a real boat, I'd replace the damn thing.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-12-2010
Emerging Sailor

erikdj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
If it were a real boat, I'd replace the damn thing.
Don't let your lady hear that!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.