Got the shaft out, what to look for? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-09-2010 Thread Starter

Got the shaft out, what to look for?

I'm replacing the cutlass bearing and have the shaft out. What exactly should I look for to determine that it is still good? The shaft is 7/8 bronze, around 26 inches in length and could be 45 years old for all I know.

I don't see scoring that I can actually measure with my tools, there is some very slight scoring here and there, very little where the shaft passes through the stuffing box. What is considered significant?

Straightness. I put the shaft on a machinists granite alignment table and can measure gaps between the shaft and table of less than 4 thousandths of an inch in a couple of spots. These areas appear to be slightly oval rather than bent along the length. I do have a slight bend in the threaded portion right at the last half-inch likely from the prop puller getting the stuck propeller off.

Another issue is the zinc leeching from the bronze, correct? Although I have no way to measure that.

Preserved Killick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2010

Its one of the issues i am decideing on right now in my restore

The shaft was running good BUT there is a bit of wear in the stuffing box and cutlass area and i found places like this

Prices New Shafts ~ Proper Pitch - Marine Propeller, sales and service, marine boat propellers, shafting and drive train sales and reconditioning services, Selbyville, Delaware, Mid Atlantic USA

That seem to do a nice job a a fair price

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2010 Thread Starter

Do all marine diesels have gear reductions? If my engine is turning at 2700 rpm, how fast is my shaft turning?

Preserved Killick

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
post #4 of 9 Old 04-09-2010

redness, swelling, discharge...
Uh, nebbermind.
I gotta stop answering by just reading the titles of threads.

Seriously, 4 thou sounds like it is within spec. Run a die over the threads and see if the appearance of bend on the tail end of the shaft disappears.

Last edited by bljones; 04-09-2010 at 07:48 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-09-2010 Thread Starter

I did run a die over the threads to clean them up and it did nothing to straighten the tip. I didn't put any lateral pressure on the die though. I'm hoping that since the bend at the tip is past the prop it won't effect anything.

Preserved Killick

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
post #6 of 9 Old 04-09-2010
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by preservedkillick View Post
Do all marine diesels have gear reductions? If my engine is turning at 2700 rpm, how fast is my shaft turning?
What is your transmission gear ratio???

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-09-2010 Thread Starter

Sailingdog,

Just looked through the manual. Specs on all sorts of things, nothing about gear ratio. The manual does elude to the fact that it is a Hurth Gearbox though. I'll see if I can find out more when I go to the boat tomorrow.

Preserved Killick

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
post #8 of 9 Old 04-09-2010
Telstar 28

Look for a stamped metal label on the engine or transmission. It will usually have the gear ratio printed on it.
Quote:
Sailingdog,

Just looked through the manual. Specs on all sorts of things, nothing about gear ratio. The manual does elude to the fact that it is a Hurth Gearbox though. I'll see if I can find out more when I go to the boat tomorrow.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-09-2010
Maine Member

Quote:
Your HURTH is probably 1.5:1, or 2:1, or 2.5:1. As sailingdog says - check the nameplate. It should be on top of the gearbox, usually on the STBD side of center. I'm guessing that yours is 2:1, so the prop is turning half the speed of the engine. Dezincification (yeah, spell THAT three times fast) is often indicated by pitting in the surface or splotchy discoloration in the surface. I wouldn't worry about a slight bend in the shaft as long as it is AFT of the prop and the prop nuts. If in doubt, have a (reputable) marine machinist check it. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.