Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-10-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Why not buy prescription glasses and get polarized clip-ons for them. This allows you to use the same pair for indoor/night use as well as daytime use.
I don't think I'm old enough to wear clip ons...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Maui Jim or Costa's for me. I have better than 20/10 vision and can not wear plastic lenses as the distortion gives me a splitting head ache. My eye doc says this is quite normal for people with sharp distance vision to get headaches from slightly distorted lenses, until about 15 years ago I never knew what caused my head aches when I wore sunglasses. Sadly very few companies are left making super clear optical glass lenses. Even the Maui plastics I can't wear without getting a head ache.

I just keep hoping that Maui & Costa don't stop making glass lenses. Good vision is a plus and a minus..

I own three pairs of Maui Jim sun glasses all with glass lenses the youngest pair is now five years old and the oldest is over 15. No scratches and the frames are still tough as nails! Sat on my driving ones about 8 years ago and totally mashed the metal frames. I carefully & slowly bent them back into shape and they are still performing perfectly to this day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-10-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2010

Thanks to everyone for the great comments!

When I was young I had fantastic vision, but too many years staring into computer screens has wrecked my eyes. That and getting into my mid-40s I guess

That said, my perscription is not very strong and I think glass lenses would not be a problem.

I'll look for glass lenses, polarized, with UV protection and some wrap around to cut the glare from the sides. I was thinking of going with a gray color to preserve what tyhe world really looks like.

How do you guys know what size your heads are, so you know what to order?

Oh, I do have an eye doctor I see from time to time, but their selection is very limited and they are very pricy. I suppose I could negoiate if they have something I like, but frankly, its easier to shop online.

Old 04-11-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
I don't think I'm old enough to wear clip ons...
Man, I hear ya. I tried some for an afternoon last summer. At the end of the day my pants had turned plaid and shortened up two inches, my ankles attracted a pair of white socks, and I could feel the beginnings of a pocket protector growing on my t-shirt.

Old 04-11-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
"How do you guys know what size your heads are, so you know what to order?"

go to the sunglass hut in your local mall and try some on
Old 04-11-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
No one has mentioned Ray Ban glasses. They still use glass and I have found them to be great in all my years of flying as well as sailing. I have also heard great things about Serengetti's
________
WEED BUBBLERS

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
sd-
Yes, the weight of glass can be a problem. But a properly fit frame and nosepiece can help with that, and plastic simply can't deal with abrasion. Kinda the same question as what kind of sails and hull form you want, right?

Maine Sail-
"I have better than 20/10 vision and can not wear plastic lenses as the distortion gives me a splitting head ache." You've been mislead. Plastic lenses DO NOT have any different or greater distortion than glass ones. CHEAP lenses will usually be plastic, and cheap lenses poorly fitted will have distortion. Most of the chains hire cheap and cheap opticians often make small mistakes in correctly fitting lenses, i.e. if you have any astigmatism, the lens must be centered and rotated "just right" and that's still something of an art, not done by a magic machine.

A lot of folks who wear glasses are simply "easy" customers who never notice sloppy lenses. But last time I asked, an Rx for lenses was only accurate to 1/4 diopter--by all regulations. So if your Rx calls for -1.5 diopter, your glasses can actually be -1.25 to -1.75 or anywhere in between! How close they will actually be, varies with the supplier and what your eye store will accept.

Polarized in an Rx can be expensive, since the polaroid "layer" can't be ground into. And in any heavy Rx, glass sunglasses can be problematic because the glass is thicker (and way darker) at the edges because of that. But all of that is something any good optician/opthamologist should be able to go over with you.

I looked into a couple of the low-pried online vendors but a quick look at their frames turned me off. None of them matched the dimensions for the bridge, temple, and centering on my rx. The ones I saw all used "standards" i.e. rounded off to keep inventory down. Like ordering a shirt in s-m-l-xl instead of ordering it by collar and sleeve size. Fits some, but not this picky eyewear customer.
(Plastic, unhappily, with Bounty and Windex.)
Old 04-11-2010

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
The Acies from Great Shades.com I mentioned earlier are equal to Maui Jims at about half the price. I've had a pair of Maui Jims and they were great and one of the reasons why I wouldn't go back to plastic lenses. The Acies have a quality coated glass lens. They come polarized or non-polarized in several lens colors. One of my Chicago buddies turned me onto them.
Old 04-12-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Rudy Project

I have a tough perscription to fill. Warrenteed for 5 years. Can custom make each one. Choice of 15 types of material for lens,, choise of 8 shades of color coating..etc.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-14-2010

Okay, after a lot of confusion about my perscription (cyl is -0.75, NOT -7.5 - they didn't bother to put in a decimal point on the perscription form) I find I can order Costa or Maui Jim, and there is a Costa style I like.

But the Rudy Project Zyon Sailing looks very interesting. They claim that they can polarize the lenses, yet still allow chart plotters and instruments to be read. How does that work, or is it marketing hype?

EDIT: Okay after more reading I see that the polarization is reduced from 99%+ to 96%, which they say is enough to still cut glare yet allow LCD screens to be read. Now I'm wondering how many of these reviews are marketing hype

Last edited by jarcher; 04-14-2010 at 01:14 AM.