Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-11-2010

Balage is on a distinguished road
Soft Deck repair

Hi!

I'v been reading this forum for quite a long time, however I never really joined the discussion, so here I am posting a question

In the last few days I've been working on my 15 ft sailboat, sanding the bottom to apply a new primer/antifouling combination, but my problem is not with that.
The boat has a soft deck issue on the foredeck, right in front of the mast attachment point. This problem arise during the last season and after searching and reading around a little bit, it became clear that I'll have to do something. The problem is, that I have absolutely no experience with fiberglass and epoxy and the last thing I'd like to do is stripping off the gelcoat from the deck, since it is in a really nice shape (given that the boat is 21 years old) and it has a special rugged surface.
So my question is if there are any other methods that could work... Maybe injecting something into the laminate? I also read someone's description how he replaced the core from the inside of the cabin, but again it might be impossible to do because of my lack of experience... (possibly dumb q: btw soft decks are always because of rotten core material? Are there other causes?).

Please help me with this one, I'd really love to go sailing, preferably with a non-soft deck!

Thank you very much in advance!

Fair Winds,
Balázs from Hungary

P.S.: Pic of my boat:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2010
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Possibly you could put a hatch in that spot? Looks like you could use some more light inside anyway.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2010

oomfh is on a distinguished road
Consult the West System website . . . they have all the professional experience, products and advice on this very problem.

Epoxy by the Leading Epoxy Manufacturer | WEST SYSTEM Epoxy

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
If you elect to cut away a section of deck to replace the core, which in my opinion is the best repair, consider Divinycel (spelling?) as a core replacement.
Old 04-26-2010

Balage is on a distinguished road
Thank you very much for your replies and sorry for not responding for so long...

I wouldn't really like to put a hatch in the deck, i just like it as it is.

Cutting away the deck - is it the only way to go? What about injecting something into the laminate?

And if I'll have to cut the deck? Could it be done from the inside, leaving the outer side untouched? What tools can this be done with? The deck seems really thin, I'd suspect that it is not that easy to separate the layers without destroying everything...

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate your replies!
Balazs
Old 04-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balage View Post
. . . What about injecting something into the laminate? . . . Balazs
Again, talk to West Systems - they have great products and great technical assistance via the telephone - you will be very pleased!
Old 04-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I really don't recommend drilling holes and injecting thickened epoxy, since it really doesn't "repair" the area and makes doing a proper repair much more difficult afterwards.

I also don't recommend doing a core replacement from the interior, as then it is far more difficult to get a solid layup of the replacement core and interior skin, since gravity is working against you. It will generally also take much longer to do it from beneath.

Chances are very likely that the water intrusion was caused by the mast step fasteners. I would destep the mast, cut the deck's top laminate away and then remove the core. Laying in a new core of Baltek ContourKore or Divinylcell foam is relatively simple. I'd point out that instead of trying to re-use the previous outer laminate, it is generally simpler and far more successful to lay down new fiberglass.

The surface can be easily be made non-skid via painting, or applying a non-skid specific coating like Durabak or Kiwigrip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-26-2010

WEST SYSTEM | Projects | Fiberglass Boat Repair and Restoration - Fiberglass deck repair-Part 1, Replacing damaged balsa core
Old 04-26-2010

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
You say your boat is 15 feet (4.6 meters ). I think with help you should be able to turn boat upside down and support on stands or hang from overhead beams with slings. Take a big holesaw (4-5 inch) and try to cut just through the liner so you can see what you are dealing with. At any rate you are now not working against gravity and hopefully don't disturb the outside deck except for the pilot drill probably.