Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-12-2010
Northeast 25 O'day Owner

Birdface will become famous soon enough
Keel Joint Issue

Hey everyone,

Getting ready for another glorious sailing season....

I have a 1976 25' O'day that you've all helped me renovate over the past 5 years.

I was quickly scraping my bottom and inspecting before moving forward with season prep and the normal crease between my lead keel and fiberglass keel-stump chipped off too easily. I kept pulling off what looked like 35 year old putty and found some peeling caulk (flexible caulk, not 5200 or anything) between the two. Under the loose putty it was moist.

I've attached a picture. Keel bolts look fine inside, keel seems sealed.

Do I just need to re-caulk, re-putty, and paint? Should I epoxy? Do I need to glass this over?

Much appreciated,
Birdface

Hello Sailor: "I've just learned that good boats, in good hands, are damned robust creations."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
When was the last time the keel was dropped and the keel bolts inspected? The boat is 34 years old, and if this hasn't been done in the past ten years, it probably should be done before doing anything else. Then you can properly re-bed the keel-hull join and tighten up the bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-12-2010
Northeast 25 O'day Owner

Nice, okay thanks. So I need to have my yard lift the boat. Is the rest of the job for a professional?

What am I looking for when I drop the keel? Is there a thread on "properly" re-bed?

Sailingdog, I wish I could download your brain into a book with pictures and diagrams .

You rock.

Hello Sailor: "I've just learned that good boats, in good hands, are damned robust creations."
Old 04-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Basically, you'll have to have the yard move the boat onto boatstands, like you would for winter storage...then you have to go inside the boat and remove the nuts from the keel bolts... and then the yard will lift the boat off the keel. Make sure the keel is properly braced so it doesn't shift or fall over.

Inspect the keelbolts, since there can often be crevice corrosion, especially in the case of stainless steel bolts, which won't be apparent by a more casual inspection. If the bolts appear to be in good shape, without severe corrosion or erosion/thinning of the metal, then re-bedding the keel may be all you need to do. If in doubt, consult a surveyor other marine professional to evaluate the keel bolts.

Clean off the old sealant of the hull and keel. If the keel is lead, scrub the top surface with a scotch brite pad to clean off any oxidation, then apply sealant to the surface and lower the boat onto the keel...and tighten the bolts to whatever the factory specification is. This will vary with bolt size and is often boat specific.

Some people like to use 3M 5200 for this...I'd recommend using either SikaFlex 291 or 3m 4200. I think that 3M 5200 is just a bit too aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdface View Post
Nice, okay thanks. So I need to have my yard lift the boat. Is the rest of the job for a professional?

What am I looking for when I drop the keel? Is there a thread on "properly" re-bed?

Sailingdog, I wish I could download your brain into a book with pictures and diagrams .

You rock.
As for downloading my brain...what a disaster that would be.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-12-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Good advice. And all from a sailor whose boat doesn't have any ballast.
Old 04-12-2010
Northeast 25 O'day Owner

HAHAHA good point, but I have a feeling he's spent some time in a mono hull at some point in his past.

Old 04-12-2010
Telstar 28

Yes, as I spent quite a bit of time as an OPBYC member... and there are just more monohulls available there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdface View Post
HAHAHA good point, but I have a feeling he's spent some time in a mono hull at some point in his past.
Why do you think I sail a multihull. Ballast problems suck... so does having to rebed a keel. But, somehow, even though I don't own a leadmine, I end up doing this stuff for friends that do...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Good advice. And all from a sailor whose boat doesn't have any ballast.

Telstar 28
New England