Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-12-2010

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Advise on dodger windows please?

Hi,
Now that our bimin is finished we are about to have our dodger built and the piece in between. The framing is already done.
We thought we would have the windows on the dodger all un-zip so we could store them away and get all the breeze we can.
We are doing this because we will be heading south from San Diego in the future. Cursing the pacific side of Central America.

What do you think of this idea, all the windows being removable?

Most dodgers here have two removable side windows with the center one that rolls up.
The two corner ones stay on forever.

Like I said we would like to have the two corner ones be removable and the center roll up on be a roll up and be removable.

Our thinking with the bimini and doger and the piece in between (dodger and bimni) the whole area would just be one big patio cover without any obstruction.

Is this over kill?

A bad idea?

A good idea?

Thanks,
Chip s/v Elegant'sea IF36-B #29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't do it. It is likely to make the dodger far weaker than it would be if the corner ones were fixed in place. BTW, rolling up isinglass is one of the worst things you can do to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-12-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I would agree that rolling up unclean eisenglass or acetate windscreens is damaging, but if you rinse them and dry them and don't wipe them down with particulates not rinsed from the surface, you will do well. Also, be sure to cover any stainless with felt, hose of sunbrella sleeves if they are in contact with the clear plastic windscreen. The hot metal will burn and discolor the windscreen. 210 plastic cleaner/polish is a product that also greatly increases the lifespan of our plastic. If you're living on board as we do south of 30 degrees latitude, I would agree with the plan to be able to fully ventilate the cockpit. I agree with Sailingdog's suggestion of not removing or rolling the corner panels. take care and joy, Aythya crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 04-12-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I find myself disagreeing with Dog on this one.

My wife just redid our dodger and built it exactly the way you described. We have three zip in panels to the top piece...which essentially is a bimini. You see this design on some boats with a permanent dodger and they are no less structurally sound.

The panels zip into the dodger bimini and are held by snaps to the boat on the bottom edge. Make sure you create the overlap of the bimini long enough to have material from it covering the zippers. We also used Eisenglass. Rolling any of the glasses will ruin them. We take our panels out and have air from all sides when its hot. The panels lay flat in our quarter berth. Our front panel is almost like a huge picture window. Make covers for them when the boat is at anchor or at the dock to minimize the exposure and irt on the windows.

The trick here is to creat a bimini...then use side and fron panels. Its all in the design and of course measurement and fit...measure and fit. We now know why the canvas people get so much money for their craft.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think a boom tent or awning would do far more than opening up the dodger completely. The space between the bimini/extension/dodger and the boom tent would act as an insulator, reducing heat in the cabin and cockpit.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-12-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Given the difficulty in handling the stuff, are the exotic materials really worthwhile for dodger clears ?

We are about to have our new Dodger made and I'm debating the advantages with the maker. He's against it.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-12-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
My 1st dodger had the zip out side windows. over time it was the zippers that went, and weakened the panels. When I purchased a new dodger I made the side panels permanent. Put SS grab handles ion the side ( Bolt thru. )
And welded a full length grab bar on the cockpit side.

I haven't missed the side panels.
Old 04-12-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Our current boat, as well as our last, has a dodger where all the panels can be unzipped and removed. I wouldn't be without the feature as it definately gives you a lot of flexibility based on the weather. Summer days on the Chesapeake can but rather hot and humid and the extra air flow keeps the cockpit much more comfortable. As for materials, the last boat had eisenglass the current has acrylic. After 7+ yrs the eisenglass was in great shape. Some of that probably due to the covers we kept on them during the week. The acrylic wont flex and scratches easily but provides fantastic visibility. We also have a full enclosure made of eisenglass. My wife cut felt panels to roll up with the panels to protect them. The same thing for the acrylic panels. Takes a few minutes extra but well worth it.
Old 04-12-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Dodger

My dodger actually has 6 seperate and removable panels and I don't think it lessens the strength of it at all. It has two front windows with the seam in the middle. The sides both have a small section toward the rear that is removed when we are beating to weather because the sheets will rub on them otherwise. As far as to what the windows should be, I'd recommend Stratoglass but practice some caution with it as it can be broken. I know I've broke two of mine so far by allowing a sheet to slap against them while making quick tacks in races .

Good luck!

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 04-12-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Dog...hard to sail with that tent over the boom....but at anchor or in the slip I agree.

Good glass is well worth the price. Take care of it..Cover it when not using it. Use the correct materials to clean it.

We put grab rails on also. With the new adjustable unlocking jaw slides which are made now, these can be removed to replace the panel with just the removal of two set screws.

Zippers are the weak points. So buy a machine and make your own panels. When a zipper deteriorates...take it off and put a new one on. When a panel wears out...make a new one. So much cheaper that way. When the glass gets bad...cut it out and replace it. The machione pays for itself quickly...not to mention the savings fromsending the sail to the loft for minor tuneups every winter.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.