Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-12-2010
Never stop learning!

Tidewater is on a distinguished road
Cutting holes in bulkhead for stereo speakers?

I'm looking to install a pair of 6x9 inch speakers in my 23' Sovereign. The only place to mount them would be in the bulkhead so they face out into the cockpit. Does a hole of this size compromise the strength of the bulkhead?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Probably not, but to be on the safe side you could add a 3/4" marine plywood or similar reinforcement to the bulkhead, then cut the hole through the thicker section.

If the speakers aren't waterproof...you may be better off buying two smaller "bookshelf" speakers and hanging them on the rail when you want to use them. Less holes that way, too.
Old 04-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
First, don't get 6x9 speakers... they have more distortion than 6" round speakers and really aren't worth the money.

Second, if the bulkhead you're mounting them into opens into the boat's interior—do you really want the only thing between a wave pooping the boat or a knockdown and the interior of the boat to be the thin cones of the speakers? The speakers should be mounted behind deckplates that can be closed off in the case of heavy weather.

You also want to be careful where you mount the speakers to make sure they don't screw up your compass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-12-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Whether it's wood or FG, I would say no it wouldn't, on our 26' Islander I had a 2 pair of 4" dia. instruments ( 1pr on either side of the companion way ) on the bulkhead no issues ever.

I also had 6x9's on the interior bulkhead face the cockpit, again no issues

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-12-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Damn dog, your fast

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
20 mbps fiber optic internet connection helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Damn dog, your fast

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-12-2010
Never stop learning!

Tidewater is on a distinguished road
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The bulkhead I want to mount them in is the wall inside the cabin dividing the v-berth and main cabin which is also far away from the compass. The speakers are not waterproof but will be inside the cabin and have rubber surrounds with plastic cones. A buddy of mine has 6x9 car speakers inside his cabin and they sound great. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't weaken the bulkhead too much.
Old 04-12-2010
Telstar 28

Oh, in that case... The deck plates don't matter... I would still recommend getting round speakers, rather than the 6x9's since round ones have better sound qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The bulkhead I want to mount them in is the wall inside the cabin dividing the v-berth and main cabin which is also far away from the compass. The speakers are not waterproof but will be inside the cabin and have rubber surrounds with plastic cones. A buddy of mine has 6x9 car speakers inside his cabin and they sound great. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't weaken the bulkhead too much.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-12-2010

Nah, your good, my 6x9's ( wired to a Sony xplod )kicked arse also and were located in the same bulkhead as you're intending

Old 04-12-2010

Damn that 20 mbps fiber optic internet connection