Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
I love these threads. What to use on teak (or not to use) is like anchors, religion, and politics.

Let the games continue!
Old 04-14-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I got a boat where the guy wanted Starbright Tropical Teak Natural light , looks very nice, takes me about 4 hrs when needed to brush & rag the foredeck, side decks, sundeck & flybridge of a 45 footer.

Me, I have no teak deck but I use cetrol on everything else; you can work enough clear coat to get a really nice shine on stuff like handhold, bulwarks caprails bowsprits, hatches, dorade boxes etc,etc,

Everything that would be under wet foot gets just the base color coat, (x3)no gloss, I've had no issues as long as footwear with good deck soles are used

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2010
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
I've had no issues as long as footwear with good deck soles are used
Who the heck wears shoes on a sail boat? That's just crazy talk, Pappy.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 04-14-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
I love these threads. What to use on teak (or not to use) is like anchors, religion, and politics.

Let the games continue!
Shhhhhhh! Never say that word... (anchor).
Old 04-14-2010
1984 O'Day 26 - Lazy Dog

bacinmass is on a distinguished road
A related question for y'all -- I left my can of Cetol in the boat over the winter, do you think the stuff is still good to use this spring? (Boat is in MA, so we've had the usual freeze/thaw New England winter here.)

Last edited by bacinmass; 04-14-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
Shhhhhhh! Never say that word....

What word? I don't know what you're talking about.
Old 04-14-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
While we use Cetol Light Teak and Clear Coat for "brightwork", for the teak on the seats and deck in our cockpit we have been using:

In Florida this needs be renewed annually but it is easy to do and turns out very nice looking and the non-skid properties of the decking are not compromised.

As for cleaning the teak, we used to use the Starbrigh Teak Cleaner kits but they are unnecessarily costly. What I have found works just as well for cleaning is a product known as "Greased Lightening" from Home Depot. After dampening the wood, spray this material on and allow it to sit for a few minutes and then give the teak a rub down (across the grain) with a Scotch scrubing pad and then rinse thoroughly with fresh water. To lighten the wood, a wash-down with a mild solution of Oxylic Acid and water will do the trick but we have not found this necessary. I finish up the surface prep with a mild scuffing using 320 grit sand paper although it's really not necessary but I do like the smoother grain. Before applying the Sealer I wipe down the wood with piece of cheese cloth mositened with 90% Alcohol which removes any dust/dirt remaining and dries quickly without raising the grain.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-14-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacinmass View Post
A related question for y'all -- I left my can of Cetol in the boat over the winter, do you think the stuff is still good to use this spring? (Boat is in MA, so we've had the usual freeze/thaw New England winter here.)
It should be fine if the can was well sealed and it didn't get exposed to too much air.

Generally, the stuff will thicken if left too long in a partially filled can. You will notice it with application, harder to spread, goes on a bit too heavy. Unfortunately Sikkens recommends against thinning it with anything, so if it seems heavy and you are beginning a project large enough to make the cost of a new can seem trivial, don't gamble.
Old 04-14-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy1414 View Post
Who the heck wears shoes on a sail boat? That's just crazy talk, Pappy.
The clutz that need to run around the boat from time to time and stub their toes on anything and everything in other words " ME ", but I talking sanuks and they're not really a shoe type shoe, more of a sandal, but with a good deck sole to them...............hard to find now, certain board shops carry them though

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacinmass View Post

I find that a thin layer of cetol will harden on top leaving the rest of the cetol in good shape, just run a blade around the inside of the can and you can remove the hardened stuff out in one piece, lightly stir ( very lightly ) and go to work