Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Best loft for cruising sails?
North Sails 0 0%
Ullman Sails 3 42.86%
Quantum Sails 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010

bristol321 is on a distinguished road
Sail Maker quandry

Well, the old UK 135% headsail just couldn't be asked to do another cruise. I am very happy with the time and maintenance she required a very good sail. But, times change and I have sought a new sail loft. My options are narrowed down to Quantum, North, and Ullman.
I'm not seeking advice on what sail is right for me etc. I want to know some opinions on these lofts. Pros and cons, happiness with etc. Some info is needed of course this is a 7-8 oz ocean cruising headsail on a furler.
Who has any of these companies sails and would/wouldn't you recommend them for cruising,longevity, shape, etc??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
The headsail on my boat is a Quantum; 105% heavy dacron. The sail is the toughest, heaviest constructed sail I have ever seen. Foam luff to maintain sail shape when reefed, high cut clew to allow reefing without moving the sheet car forward.

My mainsail is a UK; also well constructed but the sail material is not quite as heavy.

Just for comparison; the 105% headsail is rated 25% larger than the main; yet it weighs almost twice as much as my mainsail. I'd say that it is appx 400 sq ft and weighs about 75lbs. When the repair loft worked on it recently the owner commented on how heavily constructed it was and that it must have been an expensive sail when new which he guessed correctly @ ~$3200; as I have the receipt from the PO.
Old 04-13-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I had a quantum Fusion M made for my boat and have been pretty happy with the cut. It turn out to be a tad long in the luff, but has shrank a little (as most laminates do) and trims very easily.

I would highly suggest going with the loft that first, sends out a sailmaker to your boat to measure it. Then find the one who wants to take the time to discus your options at length. Only then, consider the cost.

To me, the other points are far more important than the best price. I'm happy w/ my order and Quantum has made a reputation for making fast well built sails. My opinion is mixed w/ North as I've heard mixed reviews but no personal experience to build on.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 04-13-2010

Grcesq is on a distinguished road
Doyle

I have had a very good experience with Doyle. They got back to me the quickest; assigned a specific person to deal with me and finally gave me a discounted price on combo main and headsail.
Old 04-13-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I got an Ullman CAL sail last summer, luv it for my cruise delivery sail. This is a laminate equal in cost etc to a dacron. I know two others with them on furlers, one went to a 155 from a 140 dac, the 155 rolls tighter, and weighs less than his dac sail. I had my main sail slug rip out on the bottom 3/4 of them last saturday before a race, used the 140 in 18-23 knots of wind, was doing 6.5 down wind, and 5.5-6.25 upwind in 2-4' seas, probably better than my 110/double reef combo with less heel! Even got a third in class!

I personally have to admit, I will not by a dacron sail unless it is the last choice, even for cruise/delivery sails the 140 CAL has way more power than a 155 dacron, less heel, faster in light and heavy winds.

I also have a 155 fiberpath from Ullman, and a 130 1.5oz nylon drifter that I am happy with too.

I also have a North 110 tridial that I am happy with, along with one of their asymmetric spins.

The main is a UK string sail.

marty
Old 04-13-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
I suggest you go with whichever local loft gives you the best service. That means they should come out, measure the boat, discuss options, then deliver the sails and come along for a sail to check them out.

North of course has an outstanding reputation, but if you're not happy with the service from a local North loft, look elsewhere.

Just wondering, if you were happy with your UK sail that is being replaced, why not consider a UK as a replacement?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-14-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
My only concern with a laminate sail for cruising is that if it happened to get a tear or worse while in a distant port; could you repair it yourself or would it be a throw-away and need to order a new sail? Most problems with dacron sails can be fixed as long as you have a good sewing machine and some spare fabric.
Old 04-14-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Steve Ullman did my last boat and nailed it, he even researched for the logo and duplicated it, so they get my vote

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
KH's point about repairability is a good one, especially if you plan on cruising in more remote parts of the world. Many of the laminate sails are far more difficult to repair, if they are repairable at all. Some are not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-16-2010

bristol321 is on a distinguished road
went wih quantum

Just finished up the measurements and sail will be delivered in 5-6 weeks. I'll let you all know and snap some pictures.