Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-14-2010
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road
Wink battery wiring

Hello sailors...I have a battery wire ?. I am changing my switch to a blue seas , 4 way, off, 1, 2,and both.I am going to change all the battery cabling. I have a starting battery, and a deep cycle for the what I believe you guys call the house battery. Nothing real fancy, start circuit, interior liting, vhf, couple of 12 volt outlets,auto pilot,run lights,stereo, bilge pump. Leaving some room for modest upgrades, what size cable should I use. Red
Old 04-14-2010

AdventuresI is on a distinguished road
Try and calculate your fault current.
I take it you have a switch panel for the domestic circuits each providing some form of protection (fuse or CB) as a guide (and I stress guide) assume everything is on = X amps then the item that takes the least has a fault and shorts to earth with a fault current of 12V/resistance of 0 ohms = 12 amps during the time it takes for the protective device to trip = Y amps. Now add X+Y = Z amps thats the the minimum current carrying capacity of the domestic feed between the battery switch and the domestic circuits.
As for the starter circuit check your starter motor supplier that should give you the required current carrying capacity under a fault condition (stalled motor).

Dont forget to put a fuse at the battery swich end of the domestic circuit to potect the cable.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It really depends on how far the batteries are from the switch and panel, what kind of loads you're anticipating having on the system, and how much of a voltage drop you're comfortable with.

Before proceeding, I would highly recommend you get a good book on 12 VDC systems, like Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, and read it. Once you understand the basics, I would recommend you try and sketch out a rough electrical budget based on how often you will use various equipment and for how long. This gives you a rough daily electrical budget in amp-hours. Based on this, you can properly size the house battery bank and get an idea of what size wiring you're going to need.

I'd also recommend you draw a wiring diagram of the system and clearly label it. This will help you put it together safely and properly.

I would highly recommend you read Maine Sail's article on terminating marine wiring, as it is really one of the best on the subject IMHO...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-14-2010
Red

The panel is less than 3 feet away, I am not changing anything except the guest switch, so I figure there are 4 battery cables, I should change. 1,2 3, AWG??? Red
Old 04-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What is your DC panel rated for?

If you're going to have less than 100 amps, then you can get away with 4 AWG wires for the cables. I'd recommend ordering them from Genuinedealz.com, since they can crimp the battery lugs you require onto the cables for you for a small fee.

BTW, 4 AWG wire for a 3-foot run one-way will support up to a 200 amp load with less than a 3% drop in voltage.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-14-2010

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
I just ordered some cables from Genuinedealz.com and I was caught off guard by the size of the battery studs for the cable ends. Had to call the battery makes support line as I was not at the boat to get the size, turns out mine are 5/16. Know the stud sizes and or connection types.
Hope this helps,
Chip
Old 04-14-2010
Red

My panel is french, with screw in fuses, and some of the devices have toggle switches. Antique, It is on my list for change out. I will probably use 1awg , larger will not hurt correct? Plus when I change panel I won't have to sweat it. I mean I will never have A/C or refrig on the DC. When I upgrade I may do a A/C panel wf some outlets for dockside. Red
Old 04-14-2010
Red

How fast is the turn around wf genuinedealz anyhow??
Old 04-15-2010
Telstar 28

Larger is usually a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead78 View Post
My panel is french, with screw in fuses, and some of the devices have toggle switches. Antique, It is on my list for change out. I will probably use 1awg , larger will not hurt correct? Plus when I change panel I won't have to sweat it. I mean I will never have A/C or refrig on the DC. When I upgrade I may do a A/C panel wf some outlets for dockside. Red

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-15-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead78 View Post
How fast is the turn around wf genuinedealz anyhow??
I ordered from GenuineDealz a couple weeks ago as suggested by SD and MaineSail. The turnaround was just under a week. They really do have the best prices around for tinned wire and lugs. Even though they only charge $1 per crimp, I ultimately decided to buy a battery lug crimper from KL Jack (another MaineSail recommendation) so that I didn't have to get the lengths determined prior to ordering. This is for new wiring, so I didn't have old cables to go by for exact lengths (plus the Admiral never complains when I buy tools). I also found a great source for the Anchor ratcheting crimper that comes highly recommended - only $39.95 and shipping was just about a week. Most places want over $70 for the same tool.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.