Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-16-2010

ThirdCoastSailor is on a distinguished road
JiffyLube,

I was inclined to pull the cable through the binacle from below, not up through the binacle. Does it matter?

TCS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoastSailor View Post
JiffyLube,

I was inclined to pull the cable through the binacle from below, not up through the binacle. Does it matter?

TCS
Probably not.
Old 04-18-2010

It's not as easy as you think

Folks,

Changing this cable is not as easy as it sounds. You have to remove the wheel shaft from the pedestal to gain access to a clamp inside the pedestal that holds both the gear shift and throttle cable. The steel wheel shaft is pushed through a brass cylinder includes the teeth that engage the steering chain. Getting the steel shaft out of the brass cylinder is NOT easy. Any suggestions?

TCS
Old 04-18-2010
Grasshopper

Quote:
Folks,

Changing this cable is not as easy as it sounds. You have to remove the wheel shaft from the pedestal to gain access to a clamp inside the pedestal that holds both the gear shift and throttle cable. The steel wheel shaft is pushed through a brass cylinder includes the teeth that engage the steering chain. Getting the steel shaft out of the brass cylinder is NOT easy. Any suggestions?

TCS
Sounds like we have different setups. Once our compass is removed from the pedestal (and the plate that the compass attaches to), you can see where the cables are attached to the control levers in the pedestal. I just have to remove one screw at either control lever, and that will release the cable from the control lever. Once the other end of the cable is unattached at the engine, all I have to do is pull out the cable.
Old 04-18-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
Once our compass is removed from the pedestal (and the plate that the compass attaches to), you can see where the cables are attached to the control levers in the pedestal. I just have to remove one screw at either control lever, and that will release the cable from the control lever. Once the other end of the cable is unattached at the engine, all I have to do is pull out the cable.
Same here

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-18-2010

JiffyLube,

Yes, I can see where the cables connect to the control levers but even after then are disconnected the inner cable rods will slide but the housings are held fast with the a clamp that bolts to the aft wall of the pedestal. The clamp is unfastened by removing a nut that is accessed from inside the engine guage panel, which in my case is attached to the lower part of the pedestal. I've got it all apart but getting this stainless wheel shaft out is where I'm stuck. I think I'll call Edson tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions.

TCS
Old 04-19-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
I would recommend trying to shift the tranny by hand on it with the cable disconnected. Next, try moving the cable on its own with nothing connected. Then try shifting it with the cable connected to the tranny but disconnected from your shifter. Then hook up the shifter and see how it goes. The force is not going to be the same for each of them since there is mechanical advantage but it will give you an idea of how easily the cable moves.

I have seen several things cause this problem. If the rigid ends of the cable get bent at all, it will be hard to shift. If the cable itself is corroded, it will be hard. Another common thing that I have seen is a worn out shifter (I have not had good luck with the morse units). There are a lot of things that can cause the problem so I would suggest troubleshooting first. Cables are cheap and not a big deal to replace but while you are at it, you might as well fix the problem.

If changing cables, you might consider something other than the Teleflex/Morse units. I have heard really good reports with the cables from Kobelt. I have no personal experience with their cables but have had very good experiences with their shifter and I would expect that there cables are well built as well.

To answer your original question, just pull the old cable and take it into the store with you. If it has a hard to reach run, you might want to pull a line through when you remove the old one to allow you to pull the new cable through.
Just out of curiousity did you try all of this first? If so then Edson is your next call.........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2010

The cables are out! Wohoo! The trick (recommended by Edson) was to push both cables up on one side of the wheel shaft so that the clamp deep inside the pedestal could be brought to the top and the cables removed from the clamp. Also I now understand why the shift was so stiff. The cable had a 30 degree kink at the base of the pedestal. Hopefully the new coiled cables will take the tight turns much better than the solid rod cables I just took out. Can't wait for the new parts to come in. By the way the cables were much longer than I thought, 18ft for the gear shift and 21ft for the throttle.
Old 04-26-2010
Grasshopper

Quote:
The cables are out! Wohoo! The trick (recommended by Edson) was to push both cables up on one side of the wheel shaft so that the clamp deep inside the pedestal could be brought to the top and the cables removed from the clamp. Also I now understand why the shift was so stiff. The cable had a 30 degree kink at the base of the pedestal. Hopefully the new coiled cables will take the tight turns much better than the solid rod cables I just took out. Can't wait for the new parts to come in. By the way the cables were much longer than I thought, 18ft for the gear shift and 21ft for the throttle.
I'm glad it all worked out for you.