SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Gear shift control cable (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/63868-gear-shift-control-cable.html)

ThirdCoastSailor 04-14-2010 08:37 PM

Gear shift control cable

I've recently acquired a Catalina 380 and I'm contemplating changing the gear shift cable to make it easier to shift. Does anyone know the length of the cable. Edson says it will be 8' or 10' but not sure which.

Has anyone done this particular bit of work? How difficult is it?

Thanks,
TCS

imagine2frolic 04-14-2010 08:55 PM

Why do you think it's the cable? There could be several other problems..........i2f

BarryL 04-14-2010 09:21 PM

Hello,

Before changing the cable you should make sure that it is properly routed and then lubricate it with some oil, lithium grease, or something else. Be sure to lubricate both ends of the cable.

Good luck,
Barry

poopdeckpappy 04-14-2010 09:24 PM

cable change is pretty easy, remove it and take it to your local supplier and they'll match the length

CaptainForce 04-14-2010 09:25 PM

Well, I guess if they're saying that you should see if it's "run right" and they expect you to lubricate it; then you might as well measure it while you're there so you know if it's 8' or 10' and put in the new one. Darn, the work!

imagine2frolic 04-14-2010 09:32 PM

It could be as simple as just a clevis pin is grungy. Go simple first before spending buck$........i2f

poopdeckpappy 04-14-2010 09:50 PM

If your going in there, replace it, I've done a few, it's easy, just replaced a shifter cable, a 19' morse was 38 bucks

klem 04-14-2010 09:58 PM

I would recommend trying to shift the tranny by hand on it with the cable disconnected. Next, try moving the cable on its own with nothing connected. Then try shifting it with the cable connected to the tranny but disconnected from your shifter. Then hook up the shifter and see how it goes. The force is not going to be the same for each of them since there is mechanical advantage but it will give you an idea of how easily the cable moves.

I have seen several things cause this problem. If the rigid ends of the cable get bent at all, it will be hard to shift. If the cable itself is corroded, it will be hard. Another common thing that I have seen is a worn out shifter (I have not had good luck with the morse units). There are a lot of things that can cause the problem so I would suggest troubleshooting first. Cables are cheap and not a big deal to replace but while you are at it, you might as well fix the problem.

If changing cables, you might consider something other than the Teleflex/Morse units. I have heard really good reports with the cables from Kobelt. I have no personal experience with their cables but have had very good experiences with their shifter and I would expect that there cables are well built as well.

To answer your original question, just pull the old cable and take it into the store with you. If it has a hard to reach run, you might want to pull a line through when you remove the old one to allow you to pull the new cable through.

ThirdCoastSailor 04-15-2010 02:46 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like I have some more troubleshooting to do.

TCS

JiffyLube 04-15-2010 02:53 AM

You should be able to find the information you need printed on the cable. An easy was to route a new cable is to attach a double threaded connector to the old cable, and the other end of the connector to the new cable. As you pull the old cable out through the pedestal (if you have one), you'll be pulling through the new cable at the same time.