Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-16-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
thompsons water seal does an excellent job of keeping the rain out when applied to canvas--the original formula is the one. look on the container and it will say not for use on cloth---lol--works just fine and doesnt turn cloth into something strange looking--no color change ..just waterproofing..lol...see home depot..LOL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2010

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Would Scotch Guard work? I think I can find it here in Brazil. If anyone has a can of 303 and can post the ingredients, I'd be grateful.

Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2010

lshick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to lshick
The fabric in our Sunbrella bimini just expired after 9 years, of which 5 years were in the tropics. As noted above, lots of re-stitching and zipper replacement preceded the final demise of the fabric itself. We do have some other pieces such as weather cloths which are doing adequately well, perhaps because they're vertical rather than horizontal.
Old 04-18-2010

richard_reinhart is on a distinguished road
I'm not qhite in the tropics, but close.

My boat is at Cape Canaveral, and I'm replacing the Sunbrella canvaswork that I put on the boat in 2000. I had the shop use Gore-tex thread the first time, and didn't have any stitching issues. Many shops don't like to use it because it is more difficult to work with.

I disagree that Sunbrella will "last forever". The shops around here quote 8-10 years, but don't forget our canvas is out all year long and the sun is pretty strong in the summer. If you don't use Gore-tex thread, your stitching will probably be bad around year 5-6.

My canvas was shot in the sense that portions not rubbing against anything were just developing holes from aging. I was pretty good with using 303 from time to time, but not perfect.
Old 04-19-2010

Sunbrella is on a distinguished road
Sunbrella isn’t 100% waterproof. Its designed to be breathable to aid with drying in certain applications like boat covers, boat tops, etc. Where additional repellency is desired we offer two additional versions of Sunbrella. One is Sunbrella Plus, which has a backcoating to make it highly water resistant. The other is Sunbrella Supreme, which has similar features, but also has a flocked side that resembles the texture of a car headliner.

All three versions, Sunbrella, Sunbrella Plus, and Sunbrella Supreme are made with the same highly UV resistant fiber and yarns, but have different repellency characteristics depending on what level of repellency/breathability you desire for your application. Also note that any sewn seam will need extra care to prevent leakage, but there will be no misting through the body of the fabric.

With regards to fabric treatments -- Thompson’s water seal, while it may seal deck boarding very well, it will likely make your Sunbrella stiff and boardy. If you are simply trying to get one last year out of your Sunbrella cover, Thompson’s water seal may restore some repellency and extend the useful life of the cover to some degree, but it will also likely make the fabric become somewhat stiff and certainly voids the warranty. The only authorized after treatment for Sunbrella is from 303 Products. Use of 303 does not void your warranty.

Sunbrella has been sold around the world for almost 50 years and although certain climates are obviously more harsh than others, especially with respect to UV exposure, Sunbrella performs from both a strength and color retention standpoint in accordance to its 10 year limited warranty… providing it is properly maintained as you would any investment or essential component on your boat.
Old 04-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thank you for your feedback. Also, please read the Full Disclosure thread in the Boat Buying forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrella View Post
Sunbrella isn’t 100% waterproof. Its designed to be breathable to aid with drying in certain applications like boat covers, boat tops, etc. Where additional repellency is desired we offer two additional versions of Sunbrella. One is Sunbrella Plus, which has a backcoating to make it highly water resistant. The other is Sunbrella Supreme, which has similar features, but also has a flocked side that resembles the texture of a car headliner.

All three versions, Sunbrella, Sunbrella Plus, and Sunbrella Supreme are made with the same highly UV resistant fiber and yarns, but have different repellency characteristics depending on what level of repellency/breathability you desire for your application. Also note that any sewn seam will need extra care to prevent leakage, but there will be no misting through the body of the fabric.

With regards to fabric treatments -- Thompson’s water seal, while it may seal deck boarding very well, it will likely make your Sunbrella stiff and boardy. If you are simply trying to get one last year out of your Sunbrella cover, Thompson’s water seal may restore some repellency and extend the useful life of the cover to some degree, but it will also likely make the fabric become somewhat stiff and certainly voids the warranty. The only authorized after treatment for Sunbrella is from 303 Products. Use of 303 does not void your warranty.

Sunbrella has been sold around the world for almost 50 years and although certain climates are obviously more harsh than others, especially with respect to UV exposure, Sunbrella performs from both a strength and color retention standpoint in accordance to its 10 year limited warranty… providing it is properly maintained as you would any investment or essential component on your boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-19-2010

Sunbrella, thanks for the clarification. Nothing like getting it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I'm not sure which Sunbrella I am being offered here in Brazil (regular, Plus or Supreme), but I'll try to find out. I'll be using it for my cockpit enclosure and the overhead (permanent) sun/rain protection between the hard dodger and the targa. It stays up 24/7, year in, year out. The cloth I have today is fine, but no longer waterproof (It is not Sunbrella but a similar product made by Alpargatas called 'Sempre-viva'). I'm thinking of paying the premium for Sunbrella in the hopes it lasts longer than the one I'm using now. My main concern is that it remain waterproof (no drips in the cockpit). Do you know what is in 303 exactly? I'm not sure it's sold here, but knowing what's in it may help me to find a similar product here.

Thanks again for the answers.
Old 04-19-2010

Sunbrella is on a distinguished road
Copacabana, all three versions of Sunbrella should be available. If you know the style number (assuming your local dealer hasn't renumbered it) a number that starts with 84xx or 84xxx will be Plus. 94xx is Supreme (and you could identify it by the flocked side). Numbers in 46xx, 60xx and 80xxx are standard Sunbrella in 46", 60" and 80" widths.

As to the make up of 303, we cannot say. It does appear they ship internationally, but we recommend you contact them directly for confirmation.

Sunbrella Customer Service
Old 04-19-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Now this is very cool having the manufacturer chime in on questions. Good on ya, SB!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-19-2010

OK Sunbrella. Thanks for the information. And now to track down this mysterious 303 stuff .... Anyone??