Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-15-2010

mtorellini is on a distinguished road
Windlass SL Hyspeed disassembly

Hello all! I'm new here and learning the ropes.
I need some assistance with my windlass SL Hyspeed.
When I try to remove the gipsy it does not come out sliding off the shaft. It feels like there is a catch someplace that stops it. I can move it about 1/8" back and forth, no more. It does turns freely.
What should I do to remove the gipsy?
Many thanks in advance for helping.
Mauro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2010

danaka is on a distinguished road
On mine there was a pin that needed to be driven out before any further disassembling could be done. I eventually reached a sticking point as the whole assembly was seized from corrosion and the previous owner had epoxied the screw holes.

Instead, to lubricate (if that's why you're disassembling your windlass) I put in Marvel Mystery Oil, shook it up, let it sit a while, and repeated until globs of gunk stopped coming out. Then, I refilled it and used a grease gun on the nipple on the gypsy end to shove in some marine grease. Cranks like a charm.
Old 04-18-2010

Danaka, thank you for your reply.
Actually, I want to paint the casing and for that I need to remove the gipsy.
I was looking for a pin in the body of the gipsy but I could not see it.
Where that pin was located in yours?
Regards, Mauro.
Old 04-19-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
To remove the gypsy you need to unscrew the clutch; remove it from the shaft, then pull the gypsy off if it is frozen on you might need to use a penetrating oil or force grease in via the grease fitting to get it to loosen up. If it is still on the boat you might try greasing it, loosening the clutch, deploying the anchor hand over hand and then put the chain onto the gypsy and backing against it lightly to apply torque to the gypsy.

If you are talking about the drum for the rhode; then it's possible that the aluminum drum has galvanic corrosion and become frozen onto the shaft. If that is the case I don't know what to tell you about removal as it will likely destroy the drum and I don't think you can easily replace it.

If you are rebuilding the windlass and are planning to fully disassemble it you should consider having the housing powder coated. Only do this if you are sure you can source all of the replacement parts you might need.

Here is a link to the two suppliers I have found parts at:

Simpson Lawrence Yacht parts and spares - they have the exploded diagram and some parts

pyacht.com - I bought all of my parts from them 3 years ago; but I don't see a direct link to the Hyspeed parts anymore. Try searching for the P/N from the diagram on slspares to see if they have it.

I posted in at least one other thread here on how to disassemble; so do a search for hyspeed or my username to find more info.
Old 04-19-2010

Keelhaulin, thank you so much for your explanation.
I need to clarify:
The windlass is sitting in my garage.
I am not rebuilding it, it works fine. I just want to paint the housing.
The drum for the rode PN 3 came out easily.
I removed the clutch weel nut PN 6, easy.
I can move the clutch with the handle. I can turn the gipsy with my hand when not engaged; seems to be freewheeling.
I can also engage clutch and gipsy.

When I pull on the gipsy PN 10 it moves about 1/8" and no more.

Is this because it is frozen? What do you say to use an extractor claw (puller)?

Thank you for your help.
Mauro.
Old 04-19-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
If you can remove the grease fitting on the end of the shaft; then put a thick metal slug over the hole so the jack screw on a puller will spread the load; then you could try this (carefully).

If you are referring to a fork type puller that you would wedge between the case and the gypsy; no. Some gentle prying might be OK but a high lateral load would damage the internal drive gears/chain or crack the outer case.
Old 04-23-2010

Keelhauling, I used a 3 prong puller and could remove the gipsy, thanks so much.
I noticed that the shaft is cone shaped, and to insert the gipsy back in place I will need to hammer the sweet out of it. By hand it just goes in a tiny fraction.
Regards.
Old 04-23-2010
STARBOARD!!

That's strange; maybe yours is a newer design than mine. I don't really understand how the gypsy could be pressed on and still rotate; but it seems that yours does from your prior description.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.