Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-16-2010
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Taylor Anchor Shade

Anyone use this in place of traditional bimini?
Old 04-16-2010
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
The anchor shade is an aptly named product. Ours works very well in light wind on the hook. Gotta stow it when sailing or if the wind comes up. It's portable, so you can take it to the beach. Whether it is a good alternative to a bimini would depend on the conditions where you sail and how you want to use it. If you need shelter while sailing or in higher winds, then no. If you're just waiting out the dead calm with your coldie and chips, then it works great. Below is a thumbnail of ours in action. Sorry it is so small, it's the only pic I could find, but maybe you get the general idea.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2010
Master & Commander

We're in the NE on Long Island Sound and while at anchor or mooring during the dog days of summer, is exactly when I would plan to use it. Difficult to justify the expense of a bimini installation for 2 months of use.

It seems that Taylor has released a revised version called AnchorShade II which claims better support ribs and increased size from 6' to 7'

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-16-2010
..........huh?..

Sounds like it might be a good fit for you. I can't see anything wrong with revisions to beef it up unless it adds a lot to the weight. The increased size would depend on your boat. The anchor shade uses 4 guys (1 on each corner) for stability. You'll need enough beam so that the guys can attach to a point outward to work properly. My 7.5 foot beam provides just enough for my 6 foot umbrella. You could fashion some type of extensions for your stanchions or rails to get extra width if you need it but with a cost of extra complication and ease of rigging. Also, standing rigging can get in the way (especially the back stay). Just from experience, I know that on my 26 footer, bigger would not necessarily be better.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 04-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hmm... I could probably rig one that was 15' wide... since I have an 18' beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy1414 View Post
Sounds like it might be a good fit for you. I can't see anything wrong with revisions to beef it up unless it adds a lot to the weight. The increased size would depend on your boat. The anchor shade uses 4 guys (1 on each corner) for stability. You'll need enough beam so that the guys can attach to a point outward to work properly. My 7.5 foot beam provides just enough for my 6 foot umbrella. You could fashion some type of extensions for your stanchions or rails to get extra width if you need it but with a cost of extra complication and ease of rigging. Also, standing rigging can get in the way (especially the back stay). Just from experience, I know that on my 26 footer, bigger would not necessarily be better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-16-2010
..........huh?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Ya, I heard that next year's Super Bowl is gunna be played in the Dog Dome. It's nice to see those extra thingys on either side of your hull are good for something.

Old 04-16-2010
Master & Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Go ahead, make us all feel inadequate......
Old 04-16-2010
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
From the pix, it looks like it has a center post that will touch down in the middle of the cockpit. In addition to the backstay, another possible problem would be a topping lift, if it would go over the boom. On my 32 footer, I wouldn't have the headroom to deploy it under the boom. I'd prefer to find a way to rig one that uses the boom as the center support, maybe with a zipper to allow it to surround the topping lift, and then use the corner guys to secure it.
Old 04-16-2010
Master & Commander

This looks interesting but over 3X the cost...
Ronstan Sailboat Hardware | AIR ARCH Video
Old 04-16-2010
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
The Ronstan Air Arch lloks more like what I'd like, but it IS expensive. It looks easy enough to make using poles or battens instead of the inflatable supports.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.