Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-17-2010

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
Webbing as anchor rhode?

So I am off to Alaska in a few weeks and I know I will be facing some very deep anchorages. I have 275 feet of chain on my primary which is a 60 pound Bruce. I want a bag with another 250-300 feet of line to add to that foe the deep ones and I am thinking of tubular webbing. It's super light and certainly strong enough. It has no streatch but since there would be 275 feet of chain out I assume that would make a great kellett. Any advice or warnings. Anyone else heading north this summer?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Webbing can be very strong, I think 1" stuff is rated more than my shackles but webbing does not like abrasion. That is the only down side I know of.

You may still want to use a snubber line with webbing if it really doesnt stretch, as the forces get nasty when a chain is shock loaded. Of course with 275 feet of chain you might not have to use the webbing much.

We will be headed north some time next month, Alaska only if the weather gods make it easy otherwise just up the coast, maybe desolation sound, maybe not but since we haven't been can't really say how much rode you will really need.

Edit: I'm not sure I like the idea of webbing for this use. On my boat I would expect some chafing, which I could protect it from but have you ever seen webbing under load? It is really fragile stuff, if it was to rub up against anything sharp unprotected it would part in an instant. Which would be at the height of the storm I'm sure.

Also a 60 lb bruce is a pretty serious anchor much bigger than my system. What size webbing? One inch webbing with a WLL of 3,000lbs or so might not be enough, what is your shackles rated for? (they are my weak point so I try to have everything better than them). I would think you want webbing larger than that.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P

Last edited by Architeuthis; 04-17-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2010

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
I was just in Desolation a few weeks ago, sailed up the same day as the souther straits race. Needless to say there was plenty of wind. It absolutely fantastic. As to the question, I am sure that there will be several 80 foot plus anchorages and at 7 to 1 for a good blow that is 560 feet. Three hundred feet of extra rope is a lot to deal with. But if I must then I must.
Old 04-17-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I agree webbing is too prone to chafe. UV as well but that is not a likely problem where you're going at least in the short term. I'd go with 3 strand or braided nylon with chain on the end, maybe 30 or 40 feet.

That must have been one great sail to Desolation! Pics?
Old 04-18-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
What is the breaking strength of webbing versus comparable anchor rode?

I admire your courage, but am not that brave myself.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quickline?

Not an endorsement, but perhaps worth a look: QuicklineUSA - Quickline Flat Rope & Reel. Quickline is available in Dynemma and Nylon/Polyester (7,000 and 8,000 lbs breaking strength). Manufacturer states the nylon/polyester is suitable as an anchor rode - don't know about that, but you may want to take look.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 04-18-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
As an alternative, you might want to consider Yale Brait or one of the other multibraid (Brait is 8 strand I believe) lines. See the following: conveniently stowed nylon plait anchor rode - Cruisers & Sailing Forums . Defender offers pretty good prices and I suspect some of the vendors in the Seattle area may as well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-18-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for posting that CLucas...I spent 40 min last night looking for that.

sv HL...FWIW...There are quite a few posters like GMac who I greatly miss around here...thanks for posting that link as well.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 04-18-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-18-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Thanks for posting that CLucas...I spent 40 min last night looking for that.
I've seen photos of people using it as a shoreline (i.e. tying to trees, etc), but not certain about it's use as a anchor rode. A video on the site shows a pretty poor 'technique' of unwinding a pile of webbing onto the deck and heaving the anchoring out over the stern (YouTube - Quickline, la cime multiuso).
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 04-18-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
CLucas- thanks for the link, I was getting pretty excited about that stuff (thinking about stern tie line) while watching the video and looking at the website until I got to the prices
$1250 for 400' of line and a reel? Yikes. Looks like great stuff though.

To the OP, I would have serious concerns about using webbing to extend the anchor rode, the weak spot would be the knot used to attach to the chain, and the chafe where the webbing went through the link. For peace of mind I carry 300' of 3/4" three strand nylon in addition to the 300' of chain. Haven't had to use it but like you I'm heading to Alaska (prob. 2011) and want to be ready. Have a great trip, (where in AK are you heading, Glacier?) we're heading out in July for Desolation, Broughton's etc.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse