Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-18-2010

seb5thman is on a distinguished road
Installing New Windows- Followup

I received a lot of advice on installing new windows in my Cal-22. Well, they are in and look great!!! I used the Dow Corning 739 adhesive (not the 795) along with the DC adhesion promotor and prep'd the window openings of any left over adhesive, glue, etc. The 739 worked great with the Lexan windows. It does get a bit gooey but the cleanup is pretty easy.
Because the windows are not held in place with thru bolts I was concerned about holding the windows in place for 24-hours while they set. I put on a good helping of the 739 directly to the fiberglass. Once the windows were placed, they held immediately. A few days later I added another bead of 739 to the outside of the windows, so there are two beads: one on the inside of the window where it attaches to the boat, and one on the outside of the window.
They look really nice. Thought you would like to know how it turned out.
Jim
Denver, Co.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would point out that the windows, being polycarbonate, will probably break the seal with the 739 if they suffer any strong impacts. You would have been better off with ACRYLIC for the glazing material.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-19-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by seb5thman View Post
I received a lot of advice on installing new windows in my Cal-22. Well, they are in and look great!!! They look really nice. Thought you would like to know how it turned out.
Jim
Jim, Jim, Jim..... gotta have pictures!!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-19-2010

seb5thman is on a distinguished road
Sailing Dog, my mistake....the portlights are acrylic, not lexan.
Old 04-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good to hear...
Quote:
Originally Posted by seb5thman View Post
Sailing Dog, my mistake....the portlights are acrylic, not lexan.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-24-2010
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road
My New Windows

I will try to get pictures but I finished today installing the new windows on my boat using the method described by Seb above. 80% of it like any project was prep, removing the old windows and all traces of old caulk and other grime. Once that was done installing the windows with the 739 went very easily. Easy to work with and the windows bonded quickly so no clamping or anything needed. Boat looks really sharp with the new smoked gray windows and should hopefully no longer leak at all. Much better than the old horribly weather metal glass frame windows that used to be on it. I am trying to make it a dry boat, a never ending struggle. Will try to get some pictures.

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
1971 Ericson 29