Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-19-2010

RSMacG is on a distinguished road
Fender Stowage - Clever Ideas?

Wondering whether anyone's come up with any clever ideas for stowing fenders on deck when underway? I've seen everything from simply flipping them over the lifeline, to those flimsy-looking metal contraptions that affix to (I think) the stanchions. Just wondering if anyone has come up with a clever alternative... the flimsy metal contraptions won't fit my boat anyway...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We are able to put at least two of them in our foredeck anchor locker while underway... out of sight but quickly accessible. It is a bit of a pain to pull them out during anchoring, but then they can go straight back in again until you're getting ready to go.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-19-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Nope not here. I lash them to life lines sometimes, throw them in the tender that is on davits, tie them to mast and other items to keep them out of the way. The easiest seems to be to discretely clip them on your friends boat as they are leaving, provided they are going to the same place you are.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 04-19-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architeuthis View Post
.....The easiest seems to be to discretely clip them on your friends boat as they are leaving, provided they are going to the same place you are.
Yeah, that would work too!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-19-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
We protect the dock and not the boat, when leaving and returning to our home port, there is no need to stow fenders, they are on the dock.
We carry an extra set (just like dock lines) for cruising.
These are simply stowed in the cockpit lazzarette when not in use. As soon as we leave a dock they are stowed and not left on deck anywhere. I prefer to leave the deck and cockpit free from as much clutter as possible.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 04-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Fender bags that hang off the lifelines. Make them from mesh or phifertex.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-19-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Just leave them hanging over the side, it makes you look really cool out on the water.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 04-20-2010
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post
Just leave them hanging over the side, it makes you look really cool out on the water.
Leaving them out is like walking around with your fly down.
Old 04-20-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMacG View Post
those flimsy-looking metal contraptions that affix to (I think) the stanchions.
Well... they may look flimsy and powerboatish.... but I've been loving them for 5 years and being rugged S.S. I'm sure they will outlive me. I have lots of storage inside but very little outside so for me it was the way to go. They hold my 6 very large fenders neatly out of the way and fold up to the stanchion when not in use Totally out of the way. Check my profile picture for a slightly better look.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 04-20-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, I just drop mine into the amas. Not an option on most boats though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
Well... they may look flimsy and powerboatish.... but I've been loving them for 5 years and being rugged S.S. I'm sure they will outlive me. I have lots of storage inside but very little outside so for me it was the way to go. They hold my 6 very large fenders neatly out of the way and fold up to the stanchion when not in use Totally out of the way. Check my profile picture for a slightly better look.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.