Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-19-2010

GenesisCaptain is on a distinguished road
Vinyl or Sunbrella bimini??

So the "great deal" at Overton's on sunbrella biminis turns out to be a closeout product with very limited colors. Due to budget we're now looking at an inexpensive vinyl bimini. From what I can gather, it's not unattractive, is waterproof without any treatment, lasts longer, and is cheaper. Anybody have any experience?? I've read one thread here that supports what I've said but would like to hear from others. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
What is the difference in cost between vinyl and sunbrella? Frankly, I would pass on the vinyl. It won't hold up, it doesn't fold and roll easily, it will get hot to the touch, it will billow and flap in anything more than a light breeze and it generally looks tacky.
Old 04-20-2010
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
Vinyl from the trucking industry will hold up. Like canvas, if done correctly it will be tight. It's waterproof and will last longer. It's made to be driven at 70 mph every day in all seasons. It may last 10x longer. With a matt finish vinyl doesn't look bad at all. After learning all this, I still wasn't convinced and went into the loft to buy sunbrella. Then I saw them working on vinyl ones and thought that they really look good. You have to see a good one to believe it.
Old 04-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One of the "vinyl" brands that is used in dodgers and biminis is Stamoid, and it is pretty tough stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Says here it is not as colour-fast as sunbrella, not as easy to clean the back side, and not as UV resistant. According to Sailrite's catalog, it is almost 70% more than sunbrella by the yard.

Stamoid Vinyl - www.canvas-fabrics.com

So, if genesis has found a vinyl bimini cheaper than a sunbrella bimini, what are the chances that the vinyl is decent quality?
Old 04-20-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I bought a vinyl bimini from Overton's a number of years ago. It held up fine, lasting 12-15 years. Main issue is it only comes in white. Note it's actually a PVC coated fabric and very rugged.
Old 04-20-2010

gershel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Says here it is not as colour-fast as sunbrella, not as easy to clean the back side, and not as UV resistant. According to Sailrite's catalog, it is almost 70% more than sunbrella by the yard.

Stamoid Vinyl - www.canvas-fabrics.com

So, if genesis has found a vinyl bimini cheaper than a sunbrella bimini, what are the chances that the vinyl is decent quality?
What they are saying is there are 2 sides to the light weight fabric. One side is vinyl coated, the other side not. When used with the vinyl on the outside it is very UV resistant. The main advantages of Stamoid are, very strong, will not stretch, so it must fit perfect, lightweight, and waterproof. I've used it with the textured side out, because I didn't want the shiny look, and it's held up quite well, although it got very dirty. I had a hard time finding anything that would clean it, until I tried Nautical Ease inflatable boat cleaner. Since then I found a similar product at the dollar store.
I highly recommend Stamoid
Marc
Old 04-20-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I bought a vinyl bimini from Overton's a number of years ago. It held up fine, lasting 12-15 years. Main issue is it only comes in white. Note it's actually a PVC coated fabric and very rugged.
That sounds like the stuff my Screen Porch Roof is made of. A 12' x 16' for a couple hundred bucks at the Original "Big Box" store - Spags in Worcester, MA. I'm still using it 15 years later. Some of the stitching started falling apart so the lady in the boat next to me who does small scale sunbrella work stitched it up for me. Also the vinyl started wearing away in some places so last year I simply painted it with some Latex House paint - leaking problem resolved. I'll probably get another 5 years out of it
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 04-20-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Previous owner fitted a new dodger to our old girl just before we bought her. Vinyl. Its still in one piece , has held up quite well for over five years though the clears need replacing. Other than those clears the dodger itself is probably good for another five - ten.

We are about to replace our bimini, hatch covers, binnacle covers etc and fit a new cover from bimini to mast. New sail cover went on late last year.

Having done all that we've decided to bite the bullet and redo the dodger as well.

Vinyl ?

Not a hope in hell. The stuff may last but it is vile to the touch and always looks just like vinyl. I don't care if it lasts twice as long, I don't care how easy it is to clean, I don't care if it is cheaper. It is still vinyl. Blech.

You couldn't pay me enought money to use vinyl on anything you can touch be that interior or exterior.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett