Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-23-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I don't know were you live

BUT around here we got birds POOPING piles 3" deep on every sailboat in the harbor and every time it rains the POOP count goes OFF the chart from other STUFF on LAND
SO i don't really think the hose tip is much of and issue
See....Even the birds know to go on the boat, and not in the water!
Actually, I acknowledged that it is a relatively minute amount of pollution in my OP. I also said that the main reason for the post was to see if I was missing something. It appears I wasn't, and I think we have confirmed my suspicion that (contrary to popular belief, and surprisingly, some pump instructions) the pumps don't need priming. The pump at my marina apparently discharges to the Muni sewage system, so tank space isn't an issue. So, here is my method if any body's interested:
1. Top off holding tank with fresh water.
2. Insert pump hose, turn on, pump out.
3. Repeat 1&2 (pump out water becomes clear).
4. Go sailing!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHoncho View Post
...I still want 'em to do a clean-water flush of the pumpout hose before hanging it up.
I agree that'd be nice but is not always a good idea. As I've said before enforcement is an industry that demands feeding, if they saw the pump out hose in the water I am positive they would swoop into action.

For others that do not work with hoses or just never really thought about why that guy is walking the hose:

Best to treat the hose as if it contains waste, as it likely does. That means holding up valved end of the hose to let contents flow back down the hose. If the hose feels full walk the contents further down the hose so you can hold an empty section high enough that those contents stay away from the end. Then make the hose connection.

Removing the hose can also be tricky. Sometimes it is best to break the seal while the pump is running (in reverse/vacuum) or just let the connection drain for a while before closing valve and breaking connection. All the while being aware that the hose behind you may be holding a little surprise should you forget to close the valve before dropping the hose, or break vacuum and allow it to flow back to the connection.

Rinsing everything off is nice and OK with the enforcement flock, unless it is an actual spill, then you have a bird of a different feather.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook