SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Priming Head Pump Out Hose

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Architeuthis 
#1 · (Edited)
I was first taught to place the pump out hose in the water (bay) to prime it before putting it in the discharge of the boat. I have also read Pump Out instructions that use the same technique. It immediately occurred to me that this technique defeats the purpose of having a holding tank, as you are introducing sewage and bacteria into the Eco system (admittedly a very minor amount). In fact, I would think it's probably illegal. In addition, I didn't understand how this was priming the system, as you would break the prime by moving the hose from the bay to the boat. I guess you could close the valve on the hose, but this wasn't what I was shown. I soon figured out that if I topped of my holding tank with fresh water, I could "prime and pump" in one step, and keep the hose out of the Bay. In addition, this method dilutes the holding tank, which I assume makes pumping more efficient (certainly can't hurt). Am I missing something, or is this the way most people pump out?

#4 ·
Because the head of the hose is contaminated with bacteria (regardless of how much fresh water you rinse it with).
Note step 5. in Hardworks post. What are you "rinsing", and where is it going? Interestingly, his method doesn't really "prime" at all, which I suspected wasn't necessary, thereby eliminating the first step altogether. Not a big deal, but I was just curious if I was missing something. So far, I don't think I am. My method seems a lot faster and more efficient, and I still don't see any reason to be dipping the hose in the drink!

#3 ·
Try this.

These pumps all operate on a vacume. You should :
1. place the pumpout hose connector onto the port on your vessel.
2. turn pump on
3. open valve on hose to allow sewage flow.
4. observe glass on hose to verify when tank is empty
5. place hose end in water to rinse the hose
6. close valve on hose
7. turn off pump

8: always fill the holding tank with water after pump out to rinse and then repeat first 7. steps.

ps. also put odor-loss in the head and flush with 1 gal of water to freshen tank, and you will have no odor.

Repeat at least once a month or sooner if required.

#5 ·
I dont know were you live :)

BUT around here we got birds POOPING piles 3" deep on every sailboat in the harbor and every time it rains the POOP count goes OFF the chart from other STUFF on LAND

SO i dont really think the hose tip is much of and issue

#11 ·
I don't know were you live :)

BUT around here we got birds POOPING piles 3" deep on every sailboat in the harbor and every time it rains the POOP count goes OFF the chart from other STUFF on LAND
SO i don't really think the hose tip is much of and issue
See....Even the birds know to go on the boat, and not in the water!
Actually, I acknowledged that it is a relatively minute amount of pollution in my OP. I also said that the main reason for the post was to see if I was missing something. It appears I wasn't, and I think we have confirmed my suspicion that (contrary to popular belief, and surprisingly, some pump instructions) the pumps don't need priming. The pump at my marina apparently discharges to the Muni sewage system, so tank space isn't an issue. So, here is my method if any body's interested:
1. Top off holding tank with fresh water.
2. Insert pump hose, turn on, pump out.
3. Repeat 1&2 (pump out water becomes clear).
4. Go sailing!

#6 ·
Unless your pump-outs are different I never ran across one that needed "priming" and don't think it's possible. This things work the same as a vacuum truck or honey wagon in that the intake is not going thru a pump.
I've seen harbor patrol here chew someone out for not using dust collection systems with a palm sander. There's big signs all over our marinas saying "Dumping ANYTHING in the water is a crime". It seems an unnecessary and unsound practice to me.

#7 ·
I'm with Capttb...priming the pumpout system doesn't make much sense and if you're using a pumpout boat, it really is a waste, since it uses valuable tank capacity for nothing.

#9 ·
This is true, but can be accomplished by flushing the tank and pumping it out again usually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.