Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-20-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Priming Head Pump Out Hose

I was first taught to place the pump out hose in the water (bay) to prime it before putting it in the discharge of the boat. I have also read Pump Out instructions that use the same technique. It immediately occurred to me that this technique defeats the purpose of having a holding tank, as you are introducing sewage and bacteria into the Eco system (admittedly a very minor amount). In fact, I would think it's probably illegal. In addition, I didn't understand how this was priming the system, as you would break the prime by moving the hose from the bay to the boat. I guess you could close the valve on the hose, but this wasn't what I was shown. I soon figured out that if I topped of my holding tank with fresh water, I could "prime and pump" in one step, and keep the hose out of the Bay. In addition, this method dilutes the holding tank, which I assume makes pumping more efficient (certainly can't hurt). Am I missing something, or is this the way most people pump out?

Last edited by L124C; 04-21-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
That was how I always pumped out. When finished I then do the reverse to rinse the hose out for the next guy and then rinse it all off with fresh water rinse. When you stick it in the ocean, then it should be on so that it is sucking, how is that going to pollute the water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2010

HARDWORK is on a distinguished road
Try this.

These pumps all operate on a vacume. You should :
1. place the pumpout hose connector onto the port on your vessel.
2. turn pump on
3. open valve on hose to allow sewage flow.
4. observe glass on hose to verify when tank is empty
5. place hose end in water to rinse the hose
6. close valve on hose
7. turn off pump

8: always fill the holding tank with water after pump out to rinse and then repeat first 7. steps.

ps. also put odor-loss in the head and flush with 1 gal of water to freshen tank, and you will have no odor.

Repeat at least once a month or sooner if required.
Old 04-21-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
That was how I always pumped out. When finished I then do the reverse to rinse the hose out for the next guy and then rinse it all off with fresh water rinse. When you stick it in the ocean, then it should be on so that it is sucking, how is that going to pollute the water?
Because the head of the hose is contaminated with bacteria (regardless of how much fresh water you rinse it with).
Note step 5. in Hardworks post. What are you "rinsing", and where is it going? Interestingly, his method doesn't really "prime" at all, which I suspected wasn't necessary, thereby eliminating the first step altogether. Not a big deal, but I was just curious if I was missing something. So far, I don't think I am. My method seems a lot faster and more efficient, and I still don't see any reason to be dipping the hose in the drink!
Old 04-21-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
I dont know were you live

BUT around here we got birds POOPING piles 3" deep on every sailboat in the harbor and every time it rains the POOP count goes OFF the chart from other STUFF on LAND

SO i dont really think the hose tip is much of and issue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-21-2010

capttb is on a distinguished road
Unless your pump-outs are different I never ran across one that needed "priming" and don't think it's possible. This things work the same as a vacuum truck or honey wagon in that the intake is not going thru a pump.
I've seen harbor patrol here chew someone out for not using dust collection systems with a palm sander. There's big signs all over our marinas saying "Dumping ANYTHING in the water is a crime". It seems an unnecessary and unsound practice to me.
Old 04-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm with Capttb...priming the pumpout system doesn't make much sense and if you're using a pumpout boat, it really is a waste, since it uses valuable tank capacity for nothing.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-21-2010

HeadHoncho is on a distinguished road
Priming the hose is unneccessary. However, flushing the hose and nozzle with clean water after the pumpout is complete is simply good manners.
Old 04-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
This is true, but can be accomplished by flushing the tank and pumping it out again usually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHoncho View Post
Priming the hose is unneccessary. However, flushing the hose and nozzle with clean water after the pumpout is complete is simply good manners.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-21-2010

HeadHoncho is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
This is true, but can be accomplished by flushing the tank and pumping it out again usually.
As marine sanitation professional, when I'm at the pumpout station, emptying my pumpout boat, I DO NOT want to open a valve and have someone's leftovers out spill out. And realistically, most boatowners are not going to go to the trouble of rinsing their tanks. And even if they do, I still want 'em to do a clean-water flush of the pumpout hose before hanging it up.