SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

good location for seacocks?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pirateofcapeann 
#1 ·
Hi, I''m reinstalling a head that the former owner removed to install a double berth. The old seacock holes were also glassed over.

I have an idea where I want to put the new holes, but would like opinions. I''ve posted pix and descriptions at http://www.adieu.nu/head.htm

Can seacocks be too far forward? Any problems I might encounter? Is it possible to determine the thickness of glass without drilling?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Jim Burgoyne, s/v Quiver, Phuket, Thailand

#2 ·
In light of your current additions to the message boards, I would suggest that you only add 2 holes!

A friend of mine had the inlet for his head Tee’d into the drain for his sink. This through hull was just aft of the through hull for the outlet for the head. This was a very unpleasant arraignment indeed. The exhaust from the head would get sucked right back up into the inlet and the head always smelled foul.

If you do need to re-install a head, put the intake on one side of the hull and the outlet on the other. Chances are that the original holes would be a good location. I would bet that you’ll find about 3/8 to ½ inch of glass there.

That said, before you go about the process of re-installing a head of this type, you should consider the legal ramifications. I''m not sure how they go about it there in Thailand but here in the States, this may not be such a good idea! I’ve used a Porta-Potty aboard my boat for the past 12 years or better. While it’s been a hassle at times, it’s been better then the alternative of paying the fines.

Pi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.