Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-20-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Propane instant hot water heater

We recently removed our 6 gal 120v and engine coolant hot water heater and switched to a propane instant hot water heater. We love having hot water without having to wait 30 minutes of running a generator or our engine to get hot water, and now we have a 4í cubic space freed up too. Anybody else on here using an instant water heater or considering switching to one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
What did your insurance company have to say about it? What kind did you get? Where did you mount it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 04-20-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Where is the heater located? I would be concerned about having propane on all the time where a leak would cause propane to collect in the cabin and bilge.
Old 04-20-2010

I didn't bother telling the insurance company since it is basically the same as our propane cabin heater.

We got a vent free Excel:
1.6 gpm LPG VENT FREE tankless gas water heater

I installed it our anchor locker since our head is in the V. I also put in a new propane tank and control system in our forward deck box which is right above the heater.

Old 04-20-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
A friend used a Paloma mounted on the bulkhead with a vent. It worked fine but didn't look very nice where mounted and I remember it was an issue with the insurance co.

I wonder how long yours will last being mounted in the anchor locker. This is not a marine unit so it will rust badly. I would be interested how a surveyor would react.

The price is certainly right. I plan on installing a hydronic heating system someday, this solves heat and hot water issues and runs on diesel. It is expensive however.

Gene

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 04-20-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
It does appear to be the same as some propane cabin heaters and is better than our propane stove/oven as it shuts off if O2 gets low.

I would still want a solenoid in the propane line so I could shut it off after use, just like we do with the stove and of course a propane and CO detector would be nice as well.

After looking at the price, $210 plus tax/ship I would want it to last at least three years, hopefully 5 years. That would be my only concern since it is not meant for marine use. When it does fail I would just replace it as I doubt it would be worth fixing.

Hydronic is crazy expensive compared to this option. I know because adding the HWT to the hydronic system is the job I should be doing rather than posting more stuff on the net.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P

Last edited by Architeuthis; 04-20-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2010

We have a separate solenoid for this tank and a water solenoid for to control the flow of water to the heater.

The unit itself is all aluminum and copper tubing. With the safety systems built in, I don't see why a surveyor or an insurance company would have a problem. We already knew people from Europe who were using systems like these, and I think it is only a matter of time before boat builders over here start putting them in.

Old 04-21-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
I know a hull cleaner who mounted one in his 16' RIB and uses it to heat an improvised hot water suit. It's a cheap, household model and has lasted all winter. He loves it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.