Questions for Iota owners - terminals - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-21-2010 Thread Starter

Questions for Iota owners - terminals

Hi All, my Iota 55A charger is here! There was much rejoicing.

I took one look at the terminals and tried to figure out what kind of driver I need to tighten them. Its sure not an alan wrench.

Also, how do you connect it electrically? Did you install an electrical outlet and just plug it in, or did you hack the plug off and wire it trhough a junction box? Can I open it and replace the power cord?

I know it needs a dedicated AC circuit, got that covered. Instructions say it draws 13A with a max of 15A, which is perfect for the panel I bought that has 3 15A breakers.

Thanks...

Helios
Scampi 30 MK-IV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-21-2010

The terminals change over time. I have 2 Iotas...DLS45/IQ4 and DLS55/IQ4. Both have slotted bolts. Slip the charging cables in, tighten with a screwdriver.

I note that some dealers are selling special connections, so the terminal types may have changed significantly. See, e.g., IOTA Battery Chargers
Part-way down the page you'll see special lugs for $2.75 each. Don't know if these will fit your model.

Don't skimp on wire size or quality.

Don't forget you need a fuse or breaker on the positive wire; for a DLS55 you need something in the range of 70-75A. ANL fuses are convenient. So, too, are the MAXI fuseholders/fuses by Blue Sea Systems...they'll take a 70A fuse.

Best to install an AC outlet near the charger, and plug it in.

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 04-21-2010 at 04:25 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-21-2010 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
The terminals change over time. I have 2 Iotas...DLS45/IQ4 and DLS55/IQ4. Both have slotted bolts. Slip the charging cables in, tighten with a screwdriver.

Don't forget you need a fuse or breaker on the positive wire; for a DLS55 you need something in the range of 70-75A. ANL fuses are convenient. So, too, are the MAXI fuseholders/fuses by Blue Sea Systems...they'll take a 70A fuse.
Thanks Bill, turns out they need a #2 box driver. How they decided upon that I'll never know.

I did forget the fuse, thanks!

Helios
Scampi 30 MK-IV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.