Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-23-2010
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Changing Coax in the mast.

I'm hoping someone has done this or has some tips that may help. I am changing coax cable that runs inside my mast. I'm doing it w the stick up and will be using a bosuns's seat. The plan is to use a thin rope at the top, connected to the cable and then to haul it out at the base and then pull the new cable through. This will be done w the boat on the hard...but I gotta do it.
Old 04-23-2010

rbarkas is on a distinguished road
When we did a similar job on my boat we found that the in-mast wires were all cable tied together every 600mm or so all the way down the mast. Rigger wound up having to pull the entire cable bundle out and lower it to the deck, then pull it back up so we could re-pull the wires in using messengers.

I hope your experience is more positive :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
The on the HARD part is pretty much a deal killer from a saftey standpoint

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2010

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
I replaced the coax cable in the mast with a larger diameter cable some years ago and if memory serves me correct someone was at the top of mast with me at the bottom pulling on the cable. (keel steped mast) I think that we taped the new cable to the old and let gravity take everything down just requiring a careful pull when the new cable exits the mast. We could have used a small line and let it down that way too. Thinking about it more I think the small line was used since we could secure the new cable better to the thin line vs securing it directly to the old cable plus the thin line helped pass the new cable through the small diameter hole in the bottom of the mast. The boat was in the water BTW.
Old 04-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Joe-

Do not go up the stick on the hard. It is really dangerous, and if the boat starts to tip, it isn't going to stop, and you're going get really seriously injured. Either hire a bucket truck or wait until you're on the water.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-23-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Joe-

Do not go up the stick on the hard. It is really dangerous, and if the boat starts to tip, it isn't going to stop, and you're going get really seriously injured. Either hire a bucket truck or wait until you're on the water.
That is the tip that helps, that is the #1 tip, read that tip, it is the one that must be understood first.

I got other ideas but they do not matter, that is the one, that one there, that tip is thee tip.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 04-24-2010
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
arhgggggggg

OK, I got it. I'll do it on the water. I don't want to be a human domino or bug on a windshield. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2010

kredit is on a distinguished road
no no no..I gots the answer man!!! Did mine last summer aand stuck everywhere tryin to thread my new cables...even with the mastdown...until an old man came with his hoover and guess what...2 secs. later and theres my sailing thread with a screw on the head right out the bottom..I gave him a monte cristo#4 for his trouble.I called him a geniuos afetr my weekend of cussing ...So climb your mast,forget the warnings from the nannys and drop that nut. Hook up your hoover end and suck it down..or have someone on the bottom so you dont have to climb 2x..oh,the hooror..of course sew the ends together(coax and sailing thread and tape the connection...must use strong thread!!

ps. Use a very light weight on the end,I think I just used a litle screw..good to test it out horizontals as your limited when you get crowed.oh,just rig a good attachment at the bottom to reduce air escape but dont think it matters. You got gravity on your side ,too. My old mast was on the hard and couldnt keep that nut fom gettin sucked!!!!

Last edited by kredit; 04-24-2010 at 06:45 AM.