SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How to secure teak trim??

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  donlofland 
#1 ·
I've been working on my 1970 Coronado 27 recently with a new topside paint job and new bottom paint so I also decided to replaces the modly, split teak trim. My question is, as I've found reasonable priced teak and the tools and location necessary to finish it (read grandpa's garage), how do I secure it to the deck? It is just trim that runs the side of the companion way hatch and holds it in place and along the side of the companion way holding the slats in place. I was planning on using counter-sunk flat head stainless screws with little plugs to cover the heads. Should I also use some sort of caulking or sealant between the deck and the teak? It is newly painted with Interlux Brightside one-part. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I would recommend going with BRONZE screws if you can find them, rather than stainless steel. Bronze holds up much better in situations like this and won't bleed rust.

I would recommend using a polysulfide sealant, like BoatLife LifeCalk, to bed the rails in.

I'd point out that the rails are not trim, but an integral part of the boat's companionway and as such should be through-bolted, not screwed in place.

#4 ·
I said BRONZE... brass screws just suck...and on a salt water boat, they tend to disintegrate quickly. :D Also, the rails above should be through-bolted, not screwed in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.