Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-26-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Seal companionway tracks to FG and gel coat.

I need to find something that'll bond aluminum to gelcoat or fg so I can attach some C channel aluminum to my companionway opening. They will hold the hatch boards in place. I currently have teak trim and want to do away with it. They have through bolts holding them in now and it's not very secure or waterproof.

Will the standby 4200 work for this? Must be white or off white in color. I guess I could also epoxy them in place and then paint. Either option would be fine, but I'd like to do away with the bolts and nuts.
Old 04-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
ZZ—

Through bolting them with the proper bedding compound would make them far more secure than using just a sealant alone, even 5200 wouldn't be as secure as having them through-bolted with a proper backing plate.

If you're worried about someone unscrewing the bolts... put a second locking nut on the inside...and that should prevent them from being unscrewed without access to the interior of the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
ZZ—

Through bolting them with the proper bedding compound would make them far more secure than using just a sealant alone, even 5200 wouldn't be as secure as having them through-bolted with a proper backing plate.

If you're worried about someone unscrewing the bolts... put a second locking nut on the inside...and that should prevent them from being unscrewed without access to the interior of the boat.
I'm not worried someone would unscrew them, if someone wants to get into a boat, they will.

I wanted a cleaner look that offers more resistance to water intrusion, and no more varnish or teak oil. The trim peices that are there now let in a lot of water, so redoing the hatch boards w/ acrylic and changing the tracks from 2 peice to a one peice C section track would help that. The track is only wide enough to fit the new boards in, no room for the heads of screws. The aluminum is also thin, so countersinking wouldn't leave much material for strength.

I'll try to get some pics this weekend.
Old 04-26-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
I'm sure 5200 would work pretty well. Through bolts would help.
Old 04-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem with 5200 is future maintenance. If the rails get damaged at any point in the future, replacing them is going to be a PITA.

Going with a different channel or track might be a better idea.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-26-2010

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
ZZ—

If I was bolting or screwing the C channel to the boat it would be on the inside of the channel and when the boards were in place, the bolts or screws would be covered by the boards.