SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   New anchor light (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/64239-new-anchor-light.html)

Sanduskysailor 04-27-2010 09:08 AM

New anchor light

My boat (C&C 29-II) doesn't have an anchor light. Need to get one installed before boat goes back into water. I'm moderately challenged at electrical stuff so I have some questions in regards to what to purchase. My thinking so far is: Aqua Signal 25 all around anchor light, 50' Genuine dealz 14/2 round tinned wire.

I plan on running wire to disconnect as it exits mast in cabin (keel stepped mast) then to a spare switch on my DC control panel. Does this sound right? Am I missing something? Thanks for the help!

knothead 04-27-2010 09:26 AM

If I were you I would just get a Davis megalight.

Mega Light™ Utility by Davis

http://www.davisnet.com/productpics/big/03300.jpg

Hang it above your bimini from the backstay or topping lift.
In close quarters or crowded areas an anchor light is going to be more easily seen if it's lower to the deck. Plus, it's a pain in the butt to have to climb the mast when the bulb burns out or the contacts get corroded and the light stops working. Which seems to happen often with lights at the top of the mast.
Keep it simple. Keep it cheap.

Freesail99 04-27-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothead (Post 598052)
If I were you I would just get a Davis megalight.

Mega Light™ Utility by Davis

http://www.davisnet.com/productpics/big/03300.jpg

Hang it above your bimini from the backstay or topping lift.
In close quarters or crowded areas an anchor light is going to be more easily seen if it's lower to the deck. Plus, it's a pain in the butt to have to climb the mast when the bulb burns out or the contacts get corroded and the light stops working. Which seems to happen often with lights at the top of the mast.
Keep it simple. Keep it cheap.

I had a small stroke and it scrambled my brain a little. I been searching for this very item to post about it here but couldn't remember what the name was, thanks.

wwilson 04-27-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor (Post 598049)
...Does this sound right? Am I missing something? Thanks for the help!

Sandusky,

You have it right. Now quick get it done before the forum weighs in with advise on how to upgrade your battery bank, install a new charger, switch to 24V, and consider solar panels ;-)

knothead 04-27-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freesail99 (Post 598054)
I had a small stroke and it scrambled my brain a little. I been searching for this very item to post about it here but couldn't remember what the name was, thanks.

Free, I'm sorry to hear about your stroke. :(
I hope you are recovering well.

knothead 04-27-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwilson (Post 598055)
Sandusky,

You have it right. Now quick get it done before the forum weighs in with advise on how to upgrade your battery bank, install a new charger, switch to 24V, and consider solar panels ;-)

I have to assume that Sandusky wants the forum to weigh in with advise or else he wouldn't have posted about it in the first place.

sailingdog 04-27-2010 09:41 AM

You okay???
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freesail99 (Post 598054)

Yes, the MegaLight is one way to go. I have one that I hang over the cockpit of the boat when at anchor, along with the masthead anchor light. Gives me good lighting for lining up the crossbow shot on intruders at night. :D

Quote:

My boat (C&C 29-II) doesn't have an anchor light. Need to get one installed before boat goes back into water. I'm moderately challenged at electrical stuff so I have some questions in regards to what to purchase. My thinking so far is: Aqua Signal 25 all around anchor light, 50' Genuine dealz 14/2 round tinned wire.

I plan on running wire to disconnect as it exits mast in cabin (keel stepped mast) then to a spare switch on my DC control panel. Does this sound right? Am I missing something? Thanks for the help!

As for your idea... that should work fine, assuming you mean circuit breaker or fused switch at the panel. A 50' run of 14 AWG will support about 2.5 amps at about 5.3% voltage drop.

eherlihy 04-27-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

One thing that is usually neglected is the gauge of the wire. You are going to put a .8A load (12V * 0.8A = 10W) on 100' (50' circuit) of wire. The MINIMUM ABYC recommendation for 100' of wire is 12 gauge. This would support up to a 5A circuit with 10% voltage drop, but should be fine for what you are doing.

eherlihy 04-27-2010 10:23 AM

BTW - the maximum ABYC 10% voltage drop length for 14 gauge wire is 80 feet.

fairbank56 04-27-2010 04:54 PM

ABYC states:

“AC and DC Electrical Systems on Boats”, requires that conductors used in navigation light wiring be sized for no more than three % voltage drop.

Eric