Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-29-2010

groundhog is on a distinguished road
Old tyme roller reefing by boom rolling..

Hello,
I need some help from experienced salts here.
I have an Albin Vega which came stock with the rolling boom, where you crank a handle on the forward side of the mast and roll the mainsail up on the boom for reefing.

The boom is a simple circular tube.

The problem with this is the bulky sail slides and bolt rope on the luff take up lots of room, so they bunch up real big on the mast end of the boom.

Then the middle of the sail has a bag in it, so this doesnt roll up tight enough, leaving the main not flat enough for heavy weather pointing and depowering.

Then the aft end of the boom rolls up the leach and at this end there is not enough material, and the aft end of the boom may drop too low and not be supported enough.

I have heard of a number of models of boats that were made with the roller boom reefing. Some that were succesful were done with shaped booms to roll up the main properly and tight.

It seems this issue is a hot button, as so many people on my vega forum become emotionally negative about this system. I am not experienced enough to know one way or the other. But I am curious as to why so many builders over at least decades (before WW2 at least that I know of) chose to implement this system on their products.

Seems to me it must have worked for someone, somehow, at some time.

Also, for my specific application, would it be possible to have a piece of foam sewn into the mainsail foot, in the proper shape to make this system work well? Like they do with furled headsails.

Thanks,
groundhog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Groundhog—

Most of the boats that were equipped with this type of early roller reefing boom were converted to slab or jiffy reefing for a reason. The old roller reefing boom systems just didn't work very well.

They also made using a boom vang very difficult, since the boom vang needed a special claw-like fitting to fit around the reefed sail.

One thing that often was done with these types of booms to try and improve their shape was to attach wedges to the boom that were shaped to try and help the main sail have better shape when reefed. Most of the time, this added weight and complexity but did little good in getting the sail to have anything resembling decent shape.

I'd point out that these booms usually prevented the use of fully battened sails, and lost the advantages thereof in the process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-29-2010

eolon is on a distinguished road
I don't use the boom rolling on my boat for the reasons you cite. If the conditions call for reefing the main, I just bring it down completely and run just the jib and the mizzen.

On a side note, I still have the nice little wood-handled crank for the boom roller - I am absolutely amazed that it hasn't gone into the drink 20 years ago.

Best Regards,

e

.::.
Old 04-29-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
I have a spare Cal 29 roller boom in my shead the PO liker it so me much he bought a standard ONE to replace it

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-29-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I grew up with roller furling booms, and while they seemed like a great idea at the time. they never really did work all that well resulting in very baggy sail once it was reefed. Even if you were extremely careful and got a tight roll with the foot of the sail pulled out tight, the leech would creep toward the tack and the sail would slowly bag up.

As has been suggested, the hot ticket is to convert the boat to a two-line slab reefing system which is a very fast, and reliable way to reef that results in a nicely shaped sail once reefed.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 04-29-2010

groundhog is on a distinguished road
Well, gee Wally, how do these modern high tech in boom roller reefers do it?
Old 04-29-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I have read that in the 50s and 60s racers and others with roller reefing used to roll up towels in the sail to keep the reefed sail flatter.
Old 04-29-2010
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
i have a profurl in boom system that the PO installed . the fully battened main is cut to work with this setup. the vang has to to hold up the boom at 87 1/2 degrees so the sail will roll up properly. it works very good.
Old 04-30-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbillc View Post
i have a profurl in boom system that the PO installed . the fully battened main is cut to work with this setup. the vang has to to hold up the boom at 87 1/2 degrees so the sail will roll up properly. it works very good.

That is what my PO bought but its a STOBOOM and you better dam well not be at 88 if you want to roll up

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
First, they don't use the boom to roll the sail around... but a mandrel inside the boom. Second, the sails are cut specifically to work with the mandrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
Well, gee Wally, how do these modern high tech in boom roller reefers do it?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.