Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Removing rust stains from "Starboard"

My C250's perch seats have some serious brown stains on them from crevice corrosion at stainless contact points. Now that the boat is out of a salt water environment, I would like to remove the rust stains. I've removed the rust from the stainless parts easily with oxalic acid and steel wool. However, the Starboard has been much tougher to clean. I tried the Whisk Rust Stain Remover (hydrofloric acid based) and it didn't touch it. I tried bleach and it didn't work either. I also tried some Soft Scrub, and it took some out but still a lot left.

Any suggestions of what would help remove it without damaging the plastic?

Once it's gone I plan to bed the seat material onto the stainless frame with non-adhesive caulk to fill the gaps and prevent water intrusion into the crevices. Any suggestions of what kind of caulk would be best. (I'm told not to use silicone caulk on plastic materials.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 04-29-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I really hope you didn't use steel wool on the stainless steel. Doing so pretty much guarantees that you'll have rust problems in the future. It embeds tiny steel particles in the stainless steel that become starting sites for future corrosion.

As for the plastic... did you try using MaryKate On-and-Off Gel? If that doesn't work, you can always try Spotless Stainless, which I reviewed not too long ago, and works pretty well at removing rust stains and cleaning up stainless steel.

If the area you want to bed the stainless is underneath the seats, you could always try butyl tape to seal/fill the space between the steel and the starboard. However, my suggestion would be to passivate the stainless steel and not use any sealant or caulk. Stainless steel corrodes far more readily if deprived of oxygen... Spotless Stainless is a treatment that is designed to passivate the surface of the stainless steel and help reduce future corrosion.

Here is a photo of the stainless steel swim ladder on my boat prior to applying and using Spotless Stainless.

Here is the same swim ladder after using Spotless Stainless once:

'Nuf said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailingdog For This Useful Post:
Delta-T (12-20-2013)
Old 04-29-2010
Proud "picnic sailor"

Well, I did make some limited use of steel wool for a couple of really tough spots. What's done is done, but I can paint on some plastic stuff and peel it off to remove as many of the fragments as possible. I'll be sure to do that before I replace the seats.

I saw your review of spotless stainless but did not see anything about how it works on plastics. Acids work great on metal and ceramics because they dissolve a molecular layer, loosening the rust particles so they remove easily. Ditto for fiberglass - that's why oxalic acid is so good for removing discoloration. But this starboard plastic (which I think is HDPE) seems to be much more resistant to acid, so I am not confident that your Spotless Stainless would be successful. Have you tried it on stained starboard?

We have 80's temperatures coming this weekend, so I really want the seats to be installed by Saturday. No time to order anything online.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 04-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'll let you know, as I'll be treating the starboard stern rail seats from my boat later this month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Well, I did make some limited use of steel wool for a couple of really tough spots. What's done is done, but I can paint on some plastic stuff and peel it off to remove as many of the fragments as possible. I'll be sure to do that before I replace the seats.

I saw your review of spotless stainless but did not see anything about how it works on plastics. Acids work great on metal and ceramics because they dissolve a molecular layer, loosening the rust particles so they remove easily. Ditto for fiberglass - that's why oxalic acid is so good for removing discoloration. But this starboard plastic (which I think is HDPE) seems to be much more resistant to acid, so I am not confident that your Spotless Stainless would be successful. Have you tried it on stained starboard?

We have 80's temperatures coming this weekend, so I really want the seats to be installed by Saturday. No time to order anything online.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-29-2010

thekeip is on a distinguished road
I would use the FSR product on plastic...including Dacron sails. Use the GEL, not the liquid Dab some on with a glue brush.
Howard Keiper
Old 04-29-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I just bought FSR it didnt' work on rust stains around the ladder flanges on the transom of my boat, CLR didn't work either. spotless stainless looks great for the metal ! I must get some.

My boat is for sale.

Old 04-29-2010
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I just bought FSR it didnt' work on rust stains around the ladder flanges on the transom of my boat, CLR didn't work either...
It sounds like Denise already tried what some of you are suggesting, and it did not work.

So let me ask my question a different way. Who here has actually removed rust stains from starboard plastic, and what did you use?

My purpose of asking here is to get actual experience, not hypotheses of what might work. I have plenty of the latter already.

Old 04-30-2010

14432 is on a distinguished road
The Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work very well with stains on plastic and vinyl. I've used them for rust on HDPE with good results
Old 04-30-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
We have a thick Starboard wear plate in front of our Windlass that the chain runs over as it is taken in or deployed and accordingly develops rust stains. I found that thoroughly saturating a paper towel with Wink Rust Stain Remover--a mild acid solution--and laying it over the stain will get most, but not all of the stain out. It seems that Starboard is more porus than one might expect and it takes a long while for the acid to gobble up the iron oxide. In no case use a bleaching agent--an Oxidizer--which will only exacerbate the staining.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-30-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
For about $4, you can buy a gal of muriatic acid (dilute) at any hardware or pool store which works far better than anything else suggested, doesn't damage anything and is very easy to use.

I've used it on SS, aluminum, gelcoat stains and starboard stains equally well. Just rinse off when you are done and wear latex or neoprene gloves.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.