SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking for rudder/tiller (or plans to make them) for Sumner Islands 17 sailboat

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ilikerust 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of acquiring a Sumner Islands 17 day sailer for a pretty good price. But the original rudder and tiller are MIA. The seller cobbled together a rudder/tiller combo that he described as "functional but not pretty." I can't say anything about its functionality, as I have not yet taken possession of the boat, but I agree with his assessment of its aesthetics.

Anyhow, I'm serious doubting I'll ever find an original rudder, but fortunately, I'm a hardcore do-it-yourselfer and a serious hobbyist woodworker, with a pretty complete workshop behind my house. So I plan on making a replacement.

So I'm wondering if anyone might have an Islands 17 and be able to provide some good pictures and dimensions for me to copy the rudder and tiller assembly, or maybe point me to a resource if you know of one.

Thanks!

- Bill T.

#3 ·
Yeah, thanks - I found that a couple days ago. My Google-fu skills are usually pretty good, and I'm a bit surprised at how little info there is out there about these boats. I'm not yet finished Googling, but I figured it couldn't hurt to see if anyone dad one and could give me a pic or three

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.